1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4wd light and engagement is suddenly out. Help!

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Rick Melloh, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

One minute they were working, the next, not.
    I can hear the relay switch clicking if I hit the 4wd button or slide the shifter over to low low, but the 4wd light on the dash does not illuminate and the solenoid does not engage drive shaft to the front axles. What should I begin looking for? Not even sure where the solenoid is located.
    Major back surgery in 10 days. Looks like I am parking this thing in the back 40 for the winter. It won't move an inch in 2wd on snow.

2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

3. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Thanks for the info. That was helpful. I'll start by whacking the solenoid I have. That usually helps. I have the bed off and the solenoid has been flopping around a bit. I'll check connections, etc. I have been rearranging the electrical harness. I could have disturbed a weak connection or bad wire. I would rather this truck be stuck in 4wd for the winter, if I had my druthers.

4. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Well what do you know. I pulled the electrical plug off the solenoid and inspected. All appears in order. I applied some dielectric grease and reinstalled the plug. I gave the solenoid housing three good whacks and started up the engine. The 4wd light came on and I have 4wd. I also checked to confirm it will turn back off.

5. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Yea, glad you got it fixed!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  6. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

yeah i had the same issue last year, your 4WD solenoid is likely on its way out. Yokohama Motors sells them around 120 shipped, if it fails on you check my thread for how to bypass the solenoid and jump the vac lines with a pipe to go in/out of 4WD

7. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Glad you got it fixed!

8. Epicurus

Epicurus New Member

Does anyone have a picture of the connector that goes to this engagement solenoid? My solenoid and my connector are badly melted and I'm trying to get new ones.

Thanks.

9. Epicurus

Epicurus New Member

Nevermind. I got one. Now I just need a pinout, so I can wire it correctly.