1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

resolved- KS4 stuck in 4WD

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Maximal, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

seems to not be many hits on this issue except a couple on Subaru Justy sites, i was finally able to resolve the stuck in 4WD issue

it started when i went into 4WD then used the crawl gear to get out of snow, switch wouldnt do anything and 4WD constantly stayed engaged, i tried reversing on ice with the switch off etc but nothing got it out of 4WD. ended up being the 4x4 solenoid

solenoid is located here, bolted at the front of the box when you remove the cover

[​IMG]

2 lines off the solenoid have vacuum and 2 are dead. if the solenoid fails, removed the driver side front line and the driver side right line and bridging them together with a pipe etc bypasses the solenoid and shifts out of 4x4, just have the switch off with the vehicle running and bridge the lines as so. i'll end up getting the solenoid from my spare engine

[​IMG]

2. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Congratulations on finding the issue and thanks for sharing the photos.

3. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

No worries, yeah theres limited information for this issue except a couple subaru justy sites where I was able to vaguely figure out what to bypass. Hopefully this thread gets hits on Google for sambar as most people immediately think it's a bad shifter switch, driving 300km on dry pavement in 4wd probably didnt do me any wonders

As for replacing the solenoid Japanoid is around $180 shipped for a new one and Yokohama motors ended up being only $150 shipped, If I get bored I might crack my bad one open and see if I can rebuild it after the new one gets here

4. TheFatGuido

TheFatGuido New Member

Hey so I have the same 4wd stuck issue, after I went through a car wash it came out in 4x4 and won’t switch back. Opened up the engine cover today and tried messing with the vacuum lines, I’m a bit confused it seems like I have double what you have with starters solendoids. Any help would be awesome. I commute with this thing and the 4WD at speed is making me nervous!

Cheers

Attached Files:

5. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

hey, if you unbolt the right nut on your first picture i believe that should be whats holding your solenoid down. the vac lines and connector are facing the front of the truck. after removing the nut you can leave the solenoid plugged in/vac lines on and slip it off the threads holding it down. heres a better picture of the solenoid and the part number for the new one, my new one ended up coming in after only 4 days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TheFatGuido

TheFatGuido New Member

So I ran out after getting this and bridges the gap of the front two line. Put it in gear and still no luck with button unpressed. Did I miss something or maybe my issue is not related to this? Thanks! -Z

Attached Files:

7. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

Hmmm did you bridge the right lines? In the last picture of the solenoid in my hand, bridging the left line facing me and the bottom line facing my hand took it out of 4x4, one line will have vacuum one wont, with it running and the 4x4 switch off bridging the lines should pop it out of 4wd bypassing the solenoid unless it's a transfer case issue or busted vacuum line. If I get a chance later I'll circle which lines

8. TheFatGuido

TheFatGuido New Member

Max! You are the man!

I bridged what you said, popped right out. Gonna order up the new part. I really aprreciate the help, as you can see I’m a bit of an novice to say the least

Have a great new year and thanks again man!

9. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

No worries glad you got it to work, happy new year

10. Ed Van Der Koot

Ed Van Der Koot New Member

Good Day Maximal. First off great explanation very informative. My question is where does that solenoid plug into on the engine. I removed my engine and I forgot where some of the vacuum lines went. I don't have the diagram under my engine lid to go by so I'm hoping you can help with the routing of this vacuum line and where exactly it plugs into on the engine

11. Tony4084

Tony4084 New Member

Wondering if anyone has a diagram for the vacuum lines. I bought a basket case and putting it back together. Not much Info out there for this.