1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winch bumper

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by louannfd1, Mar 13, 2010.

1. louannfd1

louannfd1 Member

I wanted to show my winch bumper and new Pro Mark 4500# winch off. I bought this winch bumper off of Craigslist for $100 and made the brackets. It came off of a jeep cherokee, sticks over just about a 1 1/2" on each side but so does my front fenders. Now I need to try it out. :D[​IMG]

Terry270 likes this.
  2. TexAcoon

TexAcoon Member

Now that looks slick! .. I like that setup you have ..
    What year is your Daihatsu?

The brushguard was for a Jeep Cherokee?

Where exactly did you tie in the brackets? ANY MORE PICTURES?

Thanks!

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice buy. Kinda reminds me of those big, oversized sunglasses from the 70's though. :D

4. erixun

erixun Member

I like it! I agree with the above statement, more pictures of your mounting etc.!! Did you have to cut it down, modify it much?

5. louannfd1

louannfd1 Member

I took pictures of all the brackets as I made and installed them especially since I knew somebody might want to see it. I'll get them uploaded to Photobucket and put them on here. I didn't modify the guard even though that was my original intention, since it was so close. I have debated about taking the two headlight guards off and cutting out about 2" verticle and rewelding back to make it not look like '70 glasses.

6. zardoz

zardoz Member

Don't do it! Don't cut off the headlight guards, we both know as soon as you do you will whack a lamp and have to buy another one ;)

Nice find, I'm looking for a winch mount bumper for my zuk... only takes time and money :)

z

7. deWinter

deWinter New Member

is that stock from an offroad cherokee or is it after market?
    its EXACTLY what we are looking for to put on our truck.

8. minihuntr

minihuntr New Member

I think it looks Great!!! If you have clearance between the head light rings and the front of the truck, you may be able to weld some tabs on and mount some of those thin wide beam spot lights in there just under your head lamps. That would help fill in the head lamp guard rings and give you some extra lighting. I welded pencil rod across the openings of my head lamp guard rings and its worked really good to keep brush and rocks from other atv's etc. from busting out my lamps.(just a thought) Still think it looks good! Congrats on the great find! Let me know how that winch works out for ya? Been lookin at that same one to mount on my receiver hitch winch mount plate. Have a smaller one right now, but have been wanting to upgrade.....Bill

9. TexAcoon

TexAcoon Member

Still waiting on more pictures .... Would like to see how you mounted the lower brackets under the truck ..

OH .. dont cut out down the headlight guards! ... It looks great!

10. woodsrat

woodsrat New Member

That looks great!
    Also looking for more pics.

11. louannfd1

louannfd1 Member

Here are few pictures of the brackets and how I attached them to my mini truck. I am thinking of adding one more bracket to each side for side winching support. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Acerguy likes this.
  12. zardoz

zardoz Member

Nice job! Thanks for sharing your pics. :)

z

13. erixun

erixun Member

Cool! Thanks for the pic's! Now I am searching Ksl.com classifieds for bumper for cheap, its like a craigs list thing as well. Another project added to the list!:cool:

Bmckay likes this.
  14. buckaholic

buckaholic New Member

man that is really nice, and thanks for the great pic of the process, I'm gonna try my best to duplicate it.

15. TexAcoon

TexAcoon Member

Nice Job and great pictures! Thanks for the update! ...

You mentioned you were getting ready to test it .. What was the status of the test? .. Did the guard bend or bow at all during your test?

16. louannfd1

louannfd1 Member

I finally made me two support brackets just incase side pulling came in to the picture. I still have not went to the woods and got it muddy and tried out the winch. I guess I dont like having to wash Mr Mini up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gene Perkins likes this.
  17. Evergreen4

Evergreen4 New Member

Thanks this is very helpful as I research a receiver hitch for a plow setup.