1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Studs

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Socal Sonny, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

Does anyone know what is the process to replace the wheel studs on an S80 hijet with longer studs? or studs with a wider knurl?

the stock stud has a M10 (10mm) x 1.25 pattern. The length is about 33mm and i think its a 10.5mm knurl width

im looking to replace them with something around 45-50mm but im having trouble finding a set in that pattern.

i know the first gen rx7's came with a 46mm stud but it is 12mm x 1.50. the knurl width is about 12.7mm

can these be pressed in without cracking the hub?

thanks,

Sonny

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

you may have to drill the holes out a tiny bit...the newer trucks are m12x1.5 as well

3. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

thats what i was thinking. but are the holes knurled like the studs?

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Nope..the studs are pressed in as far as I know...

5. D'Animal

D'Animal Member

Tap one of your old studs out and head to a Napa store. They can measure it get you replacements.

I have some new in the package Daihatsu ones if you want the part number.

6. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

i already tried napa and autozone and pepboys and o'rielly auto parts.. they studs they carry in m10x1.25 is only 29mm long. i need it to be atleast 40 because im putting some mag wheels on my truck.

7. werase643

werase643 Member

yeah, great fun had with zippy at the counter
    ask to see the selection in back....they always let me go look myself
    get something as close to the diameter as the press in part and then as long as possible

you will have to drill out your hubs
    use many bits ans gradually step up the diameter of the hole
    or you will wallow out the hole and the stud will not press fit
    then you have to tack weld the damn thin in

8. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

tack welding it in is a pretty good idea.. if i do that i wont have to worry about knurling or anything..

9. werase643

werase643 Member

you want to press fit them if at all possible
    you don't need to knurl the holes

10. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

yeah thats what i plan on doing.. if its tight enough, i might leave it like that.. if not i'll weld them a bit
    it only needs to hold up for a while anyways. i might be replacing my rear end soon.