1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would be your first choice, if you could pick out a new mini!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Limestone, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I thought that I'd post this, because we all like to improve what we've got, and I was curious! For me, I don't need an everyday driver, and I don't need to road it. With that being said, if I had a chance to buy a brand new Mini, I would like all the options that I have, and am going to put on mine, with some obvious exceptions! I'm more into the heavy duty workhorse Mini!
    First of all, I do like several different styles, if you will. I do like the mini truck, Jumbo cab, like McLorivan was talking about, would be nice. Dump, w/scissor lift option(a must)! Electronic ignition, FUEL INJECTION, I really like the thought of the turbo, or turbocharged! More H.P., in essence. Standard shift, Left hand drive, improved suspension, front and back,(like many of us are doing anyway) 4 wheel drive, w/hi-lo range, rear bumper, front bumper, with snow plow optional set up/including winch! Improved ground clearance, like most of us are also doing. Radiator front mounted, like some have, for improved cooling, and air flow, and less debris and dirt getting accumulated in the middle of the unit being mounted so low to the ground, and behind the front wheels, so to speak! Better skid plate, options, ans light duty rubber dirt and debris elimination! Larger tires,(several options there)! Improved, alternator capacity, like many of us are doing, or have done. Power windows are always nice, so is power steering(even if it's not needed). I do realize with all this so called "Pie in the Sky" stuff it would add more weight to the vehicle, and would require more space for extra components, but hey what the heck. I'm guessing a Mini with all the bells and whistles would be upwards of 20 to 25 grand! Crazy hah! What say you? What would you like? Wants? Needs? Maybe just an improved version of these great little, light weight things, as we know them to be!
    Limestone

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Fuel injection would be nice. Supercharger would be too. Dump bed would be too.

Limestone likes this.
  3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’d look for another S110P Hijet, basically what I have, but with the twin cam engine with fuel injection. But, I’d stay with the same pick/tip bed. Probably with A/C, because it helps demist the windows in the winter when I’m plowing. And, the 4wd, with the locking rear differential.

Money no object, If I could find one, I’d change out the engine for the 1-liter turbo version.

Limestone likes this.
  4. Limestone

Yeah, I agree, I do like those choices! Pie in sky, I guess, but what the heck, they are fun little vehicles!!!:):)

5. Limestone

Pads and Rotors, instead of old style conventional, drum brakes like I have now, would be nice too!

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

If you could find an S83 donor truck, you could probably swap over the part to get the disc brakes.

7. Limestone

The backer plate and the brake components without changing out the axles? I have thought about it!

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

I’d have to go look at some of the exploded diagrams, and parts numbers to be sure how involved it would get. I just know that the S80 series trucks are all pretty much the same, chassis and body, with a few incremental differences and options.

So, just like the disc brakes from a 73 to 79, (dent side) F250, will swap onto my 69 (bump side) F250, if I take the whole brake setup: I’m thinking that the disc setup from an S83 would probably fit onto your S81, without huge mounts of work, and no custom parts.

Limestone likes this.
  9. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Usually with some minor rework stock items can be used with some study and ingenuity. Many years ago, I replaced the front drum brakes on a 62 Ford F100 that I owned with discs using Ford rotors and Chevy Calipers. Just got to find compatible parts.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  10. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Something to consider.. When I did a disc brake swap on an International, I also had to swap the master cylinder for the brakes to work correctly.

Limestone likes this.
  11. Limestone

I've been thinking about this for some time! Even though I replaced, and completely reworked the existing pads and costly wheel cylinders! I now have good brakes, but I am seriously thinking about reworking the drums to rotors if it's possible, without re doing the whole truck!!! As I've stated many times before, A MOVING VEHICLE IS NO USE TO ME IF YOU CAN'T STOP IT ! I didn't realize that I might have to replace the Master, if I do it, but no biggie, to me. I'm pretty sure that's the original master cylinder in there anyways. That's great info Ohkei, thanks! I agree with you Fred, and that's the way I like to do things. While I'm using it and working it, I'll keep gathering info, like this, and eventually decide on what coarse I'll take, possibly then acquiring the parts, and then doing it! See what you started Jigs,LOL;) No really,Thanks, we think alike, I could see me doing this down the road! Thanks Guys!
    Limestone

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

On the Ford “Dent Side” to Bump Side” swap, you have to take everything from the pedal forward, if you didn’t have power brakes before hand. If you had power brakes you need the splitter block forward. But either way it is a bolt in swap.

And, I’d look at doing teh whole front axle. It would probably be easier if the donors front is in good shape. Just unbolt it and swap it over.

On The Ford swap it generally best to just go from the king pins out, because most of the trucks with the disc brakes also had power steering, and turning the wheels on the truck while it isn’t moving puts a lot of stress on the king pins, so they are almost always worn out, and need to be replaced.

13. Limestone

That's great info Jigs! If one comes available, I'll have options! Thanks!
    Limestone