1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What street tires are you using?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by downhere, Aug 30, 2011.

1. downhere

downhere Member

I am in the process of buying street tires and want to know what everybody is using. The two different types I have looked at are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R 155/65R14 and the Kumho Kw-22 165/65R14. They are both winter tires. I will be mounting these on 14" x 6" Atv rims.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

depends on how much higher speed driving you will be doing...the 155s will have less rolling resistance than the 165s...when you are dealing with 45 hp or so,every 10mm of width results in a noticeable loss in power...the 155s will still be 4% taller than stock...165s will be 6.3% taller....my 2cents....if you are using the highway with passengers on board you will be happier with the 155s...if mostly low speed and off road than the 165s will be fine

3. downhere

downhere Member

Hey Fupa, what brand are you using and are they winter tires?

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I`ve got Nexen (wally mart) 155 80 13s all seasons...so skinny that you dont need snows :D..they cut right down to the pavement

5. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I'm using random 13" steelies from the junk yard with some Cooper Weathermaster snow tires. The tires are old as the freeking hills and starting to wear down though...

6. wreck

wreck Member

I think mine has stock tires from an 80's Geo Metro - 145SR12

7. erixun

erixun Member

13" wheels from a Hyundai and the cheapest 13" tires wally world had.

8. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Yokahama 742S rears and RY215 fronts 8 ply commercial truck tires
    sizes 7.00 R15 8ply

9. jvanmol

jvanmol New Member

I have a set of 175-70-13 on my Hijet. So much better then the old 155's. It hugs the road and is more quiet. With properly inflated tires I dont think the increase of rolling resistance is noticeable. The weight of the truck is now more distributed. It still cruises over 100km all day without having the gas peddle all the way down.

10. rpm

rpm Member

Same here. I bought a set of 13in Honda wheels with M+S tires already mounted for $100 at a junk yard. Added a set of cheap Pep Boys wheel covers and I was good to go!

11. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

are these tires available in North America or Japan?

12. downhere

downhere Member

Those tires are only sold through Kal Tire in Alberta anyway's!