1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What states will issue title registration and plates to non residents without any in person?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Cody530, Nov 25, 2022.

  1. Cody530

    Cody530 Member

    So I live in a rural area of California however its still California so ya 100% no go here. I'm paying someone to get the vehicle tittled it will be in their name then have it sent to me with a filled out bill of sale. I will need to find a state that will allow me to transfer the tittle in my name in that sate and register it without ever having to step into that sate. Anyone know of such a state? I tired Vermont however they sent everything back saying id need to have the vehicle inspected first at one of their locations I figured it would probably help if the vehicle already had a tittle hints why I'm paying someone to do that first.
  2. Kevin in NC

    Kevin in NC Member Supporting Member

    When I imported a never-titled-in-the-US military Harley-Davidson from Russia 20 years ago I had to jump through some hoops to get a title in NC. This was 20 years ago and at the time, I believe that Alabama and Nevada had title companies that would provide a clean title for $$$. Even then, I was warned that some states would not accept these titles. I have no idea if this approach would work these days. And no way in hell would I send a dime to Russia these days. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Good luck,
    Kevin in NC
  3. Cody530

    Cody530 Member

    Thanks I might try Vermont agin but this time as an antique. I wouldn’t imagine they’d have antiques pass any kind of inspection.
  4. Kevin in NC

    Kevin in NC Member Supporting Member

    FWIW, when North Carolina began titling mini trucks, they created a special category for them and they can never be titled as antiques, no matter how old they are. My NC title states the vehicle type as "MT". Not sure how Vermont might do it. Good luck.
    Kevin in NC
  5. mr.mindless

    mr.mindless Member

    I have a Motorhome with SD title & plates, and it's never been there nor have I. That was from a PA commercial truck title notarized to me, as PA requires at sale time. Call a DMV in SD, they're happy to talk to folks. Lower fees in counties without a wheel tax, watch for that. I went with Pennington County, pennco.org

    Google tells me that SD doesn't allow kei truck registration, so give a call and see if they can title and plate it or not... Good luck.
  6. t_g_farrell

    t_g_farrell Active Member

    Search on montana LLC, theres a way I think.
  7. fmartin_gila

    fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

    You might check getting a 'Bonded' Title in Arizona through an insurance agent.

  8. Cody530

    Cody530 Member

    The problem I ran into for Arizona South Dakota and so on the dmv pages of most of the states say in person only for title transfers or vin must be verified but state leo or transfers of tittle must be notarized but court house or county clerks.

Share This Page