1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SOLVED] What Model is this?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Ferris117, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Ferris117

Ferris117 New Member

Trying to figure out what I got. (first kei truck)
    I think its a factory LHD USA produced model. (Speedo is in MPH and its LHD)
    chassis vin states JDA000S8100300662

Just wanting to make sure I do have a 1993 Hijet with what I believe to be a 660cc engine.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

It is an S81, which is the 550-cc EB series engine. I’m kind of surprised it doesn’t have the S81L in the vin. If you find one the EF block will bolt right in.

So quick breakdown: S80-550cc-2wd; S81-550cc-4wd; S82-660-2wd; S83-660cc-4wd.

And, then a bunch of other S80 series body style, trucks made for international markets with different engines and transmissions, with upto 1300-cc.

Do you have an upper an lower range on the transfer case lever? If not the high range is locked out with a circling in the transfer case, and you can defeat that by removing the cir-clip. Several threads on that.

3. Ferris117

Ferris117 New Member

Thanks for the quick response, I do have hi/low on the transfer case and it is in working order both hi and low

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Good, that means a previous owner knew enough to disconnect it. Which implies the also known enough to disable the speed limiter system, that cut fuel if the speed went over 25-mph.

And, if you want to order parts of the Japanese sites, drop the JDA000 from the vin. They were added to the Japanese serial number to get a US VIN Format. J for Japan, D for Daihatsu, and the A means it was an agricultural/off road vehicle and exempt from the on highway safety and emissions requirements. The 000 was to get the length right.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    bryson likes this.
  5. Ferris117

Ferris117 New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the great info!

6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Ferris,
    Welcome! Nice Unit. Good Luck with it!
    Limestone

7. Ferris117

Ferris117 New Member

Thanks limestone, I've almost sourced all the parts I need, last big item is a new seat cushion. Thinking about getting creative and just making my own from a different vehicle cushion

8. Limestone

Ferris,
    I like the way that you think! By the time you try to find what you need, you'll probably be better off making your own, custom fit seat cushion, and you'll really appreciate it more, that you did it yourself! Putting your own custom spin on your unit, I think is what it's all about and, half the fun!!!
    Limestone

9. Limestone

Ferris,
    Just to compare, my Vin is JDA000S8100300216! Our Unit's should be pretty compatible. So, on mine, on top of the engine block, in about the middle fore ward, is an embossed lettered marking, "E B" ! (550cc) I'm trying to figure out yours, 1993 660 cc! If yours is a 660 cc engine, it should be embossed on top, with "EF", not "EB" ! I'm pretty sure the "EF" 660cc, came about in March 1990! From what I know the export models were pretty predominantly, the "EB" 550 cc, version, back at that time! Your serial number being later than mine, yours might have somehow fell into a transitional area, and who knows! By yours being 446 digits later, I'm wondering! That's why the Top of the Engine will confirm what you have!
    Limestone

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  10. Justin Denman

Justin Denman New Member

Thanks for all this information. I'm very new to the lifestyle. I just picked up my first rig. And my vin is JDA000S8100300644!! I have been seeing your signature a lot in here and always great info. Much appreciated

11. Limestone

Justin,
    Welcome! I see that your Vin #, is Between mine and Ferris! Go to your profile in your Avatar, and click on your Signature, and put in whatever info that you know is correct about your unit, (like Jigs and Mine), and you can always change, or add more to it later! It will really help us to help you with what your asking, when it comes time! Thanks!
    Limestone