1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tune up, Timing belt & Water Pump

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Gregkabob, May 27, 2008.

1. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

Here's a pic of the new main seal. The cam shaft seal is exactly the same seal. I just used a small screw driver to pry the old one's out. Be careful not to scratch the surface of the shaft. Tapped new seals in with a small hammer.

[​IMG]

Installed new water pump and replaced the back cover.

[​IMG]

Put the new tensioner pulley on but did't put the spring on yet. Set the crank to TDC and the cam to the timing marks on the cam pully and back cover. Ran the belt so that there was no slack between the cam and the crank then ran it around the tensioner and waterpump. I then hooked the spring back up to the tensioner. There's an access hole on the front of the timing cover that lines up with the tensioner bolt. After the motor is run a bit pop the little cover off and loosen the bolt and retighten. The tensioner doesn't automatically take up the slack of the belt as it stretchs.

[​IMG]

Put the covers back on, crank pulley and new alt belt. Topped up the collant and started it right up.

2. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

Ok, last sets of pics. This is the tune up. All the parts were old except the plugs which looked brand new so I left them in and kept the new new ones for spares.

There was one plug wire rubbing on the access panel support:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The distrubutor cap had cracks from all 3 of the posts:

[​IMG]

Timing it was straight forward. Here's the hole on the trans with the timing marks:

[​IMG]

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

You are the man. Thanks for showing this.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  4. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

New cap and wires on, timing set and running fantastic. I like the blue wires:D

[​IMG]

I hope all these pics weren't over the top. I hope this helps anyone that want to tackle these jobs. I have a very enjoyable day doing it and it nice to work on a vehicle where your not busting your knuckles trying to get to things. If anyone has any questions please ask.

Tony Evers and o8k like this.
  5. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

Trax and Horns, Thanks! Hopefully it can help folks doing the same thing.

6. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Nice photo set Greg.:)
    Seems like the engineers do a way better job on designing the "kei" class of vehicles for the JDM market then what we get for the NA market.
    I have been impressed on how easy my Sambar is to work on as well.

7. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Excellent! Great Job on the pix. This will come in handy for many.

-Greg

8. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

Thanks guys. Glad to do it and I hope it can help others out.

9. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

10. Greg,

Thanks for the recognition!

The pictorial you provided on your repairs and procedures was very well documented. You get our vote for contributor of the month for sure!!

Thanks again!

Mini Truck Supply

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    Jon espinas likes this.
  11. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Although the belts are Mistuboshi, I would like to point out Mitsubishi does make parts for many other vehicles. The distributor caps for other makes of vehicles, and other electrical components often have the triple diamond mark.

12. NewSuzukiOwner

NewSuzukiOwner New Member

This Post was AWESOME! I just got my 91 Suzuki Carry a week ago and i LOVE IT! Ive been thinking about doing some of the work you did and have ordered the manual as well. Seeing these pics make me feel way more comfortable in and around my lil' guys engine. I will post pics of my Brute soon too. Cheers again on the pics!

13. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

I really enjoyed working on it. It's nice to have access to everything and not bust your knuckles trying to remove "stuff" just to get to the area you need access to. I'm glad folks have found this helpful and on a forum like this it's the community helping each other.

Greg

14. AMMOe

AMMOe New Member

I am not a natural mechanic but your pictorial made me feel as though I could tackle those jobs with the right instruction manual. Thanks! ~Andy

15. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

Thanks Andy, Be sure to get the spiral bound book as it helps a lot.

16. AMMOe

AMMOe New Member

Wouldn't begin without it.~Andy

17. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

WOW, it's been made into a sticky, I'm humbled. Thanks! I hope it helps.

Stan likes this.
  18. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Just trying to make things easier for our newer members to get the info
    since alot don't search for it.
    Thought it deserved front page listing and it is a darn good post complete with pics

19. hoddie hog

hoddie hog New Member

THANKS Greg for your post on how to install a new timming belt and belt tensioner pully thanks to your post with pictures it made the job easy ( the little pointer that looked like a timing mark I sort of made it into one after I alined the timing mark at the rear and checked that the mark on the cam gear was alined with the mark on the backing plate I sliped the generator belt pully back on the crankshaft and added a mark on it to aline with the pointer then ground a small grove on the generator belt pully and painted the grove and I now have a timing mark on the front and I checked it out and it is right on) I don't post much on here but I guess I am makeing up for lost time on this reply and I am on here a LOT! I have a 94 carry and haved added several item's to it first I built a rear bumper from a 5 inch c-chanel with a bumper hitch ,rubber bed mat and a metal skin with rubber mat on the tail gate , rubber floor mats( all of this from a large flatbed mat )also added 13 inch wheels and tires , built tool boxes on each side of the bed,gun racks , am/fm radio ,amber lights on back of cab and don't tell Mighty Milt but I installed a 3 inch stack because i liked the looks of his stack, but mine is curved at the top and is black . I also purchased a set of ATV tires to fit my 12 rims for the mud and the snow and after this wenter I am really glad that I did it now go's anywhere like a little Billy goat I will try and post a picture sometime again thanks for the pictures. It made my job a lot easer sorry about how long this reply turned out

20. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Hoddie, We need pictures please. NOW