1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

truck isn't starting!

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by bannock, May 30, 2013.

1. bannock

bannock Member

hey guys, I have a problem with my 91 hijet. i used her a few days ago and everything was fine. I usually have a problem with it when there is high humidity but I can usually get it going with some persistance, Not this time. It turns over but thats it. in the high humidity i'll some times get a back fire too.

2. jwicker

jwicker Member

Sounds like a crack in the distributor cap to me..... with my very limited HiJet knowledge.
    But that theory would apply to every points-fired Chevy small block on the planet.

3. bannock

bannock Member

Yeah thats what i was thinking too, just need reassuring haha

4. rst277

rst277 Member

I would check the cap and maybe clean the inside of any corrosion. There is a vent on the dist cap which I usually disconnect and silicon over. You can also check your plug wires to see f their shorting out. Running a screwdriver on them when the truck is running and watch for arcs. Thinking of ordering some parts from the US - need anything? Ralph in Winnipeg

5. miniming

miniming New Member

Where are you ordering from Ralph?

6. bannock

bannock Member

Sure enough, the humidity went down and she fired up just fine. Ill have to wait till tomorrow to crack it open and see. Damm job getting in the way! If i need the cap i'll for sure wanna order one ralph, thanks!

7. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Don't order the cheap crap one - spend a few bucks more and get a proper Nippon Denso cap

Bob Jonah

8. bannock

bannock Member

Another update, i finally got some time to poke around on the truck. Pulled off the distributer cap and found oil in it. Any idea where i go from here? Cap doesn't seems cracked but there is also no seal or anything around it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  9. jwicker

jwicker Member

I would imagine there is a worn or dried O-Ring seal causing oil to leak around the distro shaft.
    Google 'oil in the distributor' and look at the ToyotaNation post(s).
    I would hope that Daihatsu repair parts to be available.... but good luck finding a cross reference.
    Might try some Corolla parts.