1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission Slips

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by o8k, Aug 25, 2010.

1. o8k

o8k Member

Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot a slippy transmission. Conditions are. I have 25” tires. I “think” I have properly adjusted the clutch. I have plenty of “threads” left on the clutch cable. The clutch slips in 3rd gear a little if I push it really hard (only during up shift) and consistently slips in 4th if I push it hard (only during up shift). Once in any gear and I floor it, I don’t get a slip. I am wondering if my tires are too big and causing this, or I haven’t really properly adjusted my clutch, or something is wearing out on the pressure plate do-hicky thing on the inside of the clutch.
    Advice welcome…
    o8k

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

sounds like either the cable is a tad too tight ,the cable may need to be lubricated, or the clutch spring is a bit weak... I would start off with lubing the cable and backing off the adjuster a bit...there should be a couple mm or so slack in the cable when you first touch it,before you get any resistance..then you can be sure it is releasing completely

3. o8k

o8k Member

well i had some more time to play with it today. more i think about it, the more i think that the pressure plate is weak or somthing. I jacked it up on all 4s today and while not in gear, the wheels still spun. I could hold the drive axle and it would stop but when i let go, the wheels would roll again w/ the engine at idle. I adjusted the clutch cable till it stopped, but then it wouldnt go even when in gear. Well till i get that giant hole in my front tranny fixed, it is all kind of moot at the moment anyhow =(

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

actually the wheels should turn a bit when off the ground and idling..the input and output shafts are basically joined inside the tranny..even though they are not locked together in nuetral they still have a bearing between them and can still transfer a tiny bit of rotation to the wheels
    Sorry I missed this last time....one of the best ways to test for a slipping clutch is to put it in 4th gear at a standstill and try to take off..if it just spins with the clutch released the clutch is on it's way out...if it stalls then your clutch is grabbing fine..

5. o8k

o8k Member

Thanks Fupabox! good to know, i was wondering if that was normal, and it was just that i wasnt. Now i am and so is that obervation.

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

How bad is your rear main?

Do you have "dripage" on the underside of the bell housing?

Do you leave puddles where you've parked?

This reads like you've got some clutch lubrication going on here..

7. o8k

o8k Member

No leaks visible from underneath.

8. o8k

o8k Member

I wish i actualy knew how to work on cars =( i have this feeling im going to tear it all apart looking for the problem only to cause barny rubble trouble on myself again. =(

9. o8k

o8k Member

Ok back on the job for this problem...

My initial thought, the diaphram spring is weak, causing slip, or that someone didnt grease somthing near the throw bearing or the clutch release shaft and its sticking "open" causing a little bit of slip. Not really gonna know unless i tear it down....

SO.....

I am going to tear down my Tranny soon and want some advice if anyone would be so kind. I am looking through my trusty manual for clutch and tranny dismount.... Couple of details absent for the non-mechanic types like myself....

Q1: in the image below, how exactly do i remove my drive shaft? there appears to be 4 bolts that tie it into the rear diff. Will this do the trick? Do i have to take apart any "U" joints? What about the front drive shaft? Do these damn things have splines with ring clips like my alxes do?
    [​IMG]

Q2: do i really need a bearing tool for this job? will my autoparts store have one?
    [​IMG]

Q3: ok these next two images go together. THis is confusing, if im adjusting the free play on the clutch with the nut and bolt on the "other" end of the clutch cable, how exactly would it "EVER" not be 1-5mm worth of thread???? if so, am im i adjusting the freeplay incorrectly? Hrm... seems like im missing somthing here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q4: Do i get a fly wheel tool and clutch center guide with my clutch kit? Has anyone done this job yet?
    [​IMG]

Q5: Last but not least, has anyone ever had to replace a fly wheel? Or are they easily machined by someone who can do that kind of thing?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  10. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Your clutch is mostly likely gone. Running 25" tires is ok but your clutch gets a work out when pulling them
    compared to the standard street tire. Pull the trans. Its not as bad as you think. First timmer you can have it pulled and back in in about half a day. I did one 2 months ago and it was back running down the road in 2 1/2 hrs.

11. o8k

o8k Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence. =D Soon as i have a buck or two, ill buy myself the parts and get started.