1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transaxle Fill/ Drain Plugs

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Timetripper, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Hi, Anyone out there who can zero me in on the location of the fill
    and drain plugs for the transaxle?

And for anyone needing this info: It takes 2 Litres of GL-4 75W90 oil in the transaxle and 0.8 Litre of GL-5 75W90 for the front diff.

Correction to above info: The TM60 2wd transaxle takes 1.9 Litre and the TM60 4wd transaxle takes 2.2 Litre of oil as per above weight.

There are the following model #'s of transaxles: TM60, TW60 & TY60 in Sambars

Source: Don Andrews

I will add in what model is for what unit when this info becomes available

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

To answer my own question:

Both plugs are located on the L.H. side of the transaxle
    near the front where the front driveshaft leaves.

3. Subaru

Subaru Member

You are of great assistance:D

4. Rural

Rural Member

Just to clarify, they are on the LH side when looking from the rear of the vehicle. Actually, even more clearly, they are on the passenger side of the transaxle near where the front driveshaft is attached.

It took me a while to find these. At one point, I mistook the engine oil drain as the transaxle drain. That was what clued me in as to what I was looking for. The transaxle's fill and drain bolts are very similar to the engine oil drain's, only bigger.

5. H.W.

H.W. New Member

gear oil

Hi all,

Thanks for this thread! It's been very helpful.

I have a quick question about the gear oil. All I can find is a sythetic blend SAE 75w90 which says it is rated for both GL-4 nd GL-5.

Is this the right stuff and will it work for both the front diff and transaxle?

Thanks for your help!

6. erixun

erixun Member

It should, but some say the synthetic breaks down old seals.... and some say do not use a higher formula, i.e. if your truck had GL4 don't use GL5 because of the same reasons above. I guess it will clean too much gunk :D and cause your seals to leak.