1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans fluid

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by KCCats, Jan 13, 2017.

1. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

OK I did the search and have found that, Syn diff lube may NOT be what I want (something about the copper and other soft metals wearing?)
    Im in North Central Illinois and it has already been -10 f and the trans was giving me fits!
    I have already switch the front dif with Syn 70-140, and the fluid coming out was very thin?
    Any input?

2. slobra300

slobra300 New Member

I am no expert but I see that no one has replied and this was on my "to do" list recently. From what I can gather, you only want to run a specific GL-4 trans oil in the transmission and the transfer case due to the fact that there is something in the GL-5 oil that will prematurely wear out the brass synchronizers in the transmission. There are threads about this in here but I have not learned how to reference them yet. Anyways, I did a bunch of reading and decided on going with this particular oil but I have not ordered and install yet so I have no feedback to report. I also read that most people experienced poor transmission oil quality when they drained theirs and that once they changed it, their transmission started shifting much smoother so this is something I am looking forward to doing.

upload_2017-1-20_14-31-14.png

3. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Sounds right, is it a full synthetic?

I had been wondering about just using a sny 20w50 motor oil?

4. slobra300

slobra300 New Member

Yes it is. This description is from the Redline website. I'm looking forward to putting it in mine, nice clean fresh fluid for the gear box...

RED LINE MT-85 HIGH-PERFORMANCE GEAR OIL is a fully-synthetic ester-based lubricant designed for use in manual transmissions and front-wheel-drive trans-axles. This shear-stable formula resists breakdown for extended periods and offers more consistent viscosity in warm and cold temperatures for less gear noise and improved shifting. This fluid is less slippery for improved synchronizer coefficient of friction and offers stronger film strength for better wear protection.

5. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Ordered 3 quarts off ebay!

6. slobra300

slobra300 New Member

Awesome. I cant order mine for a few weeks, just ordered new struts and springs. Please tell me if you notice any increase in transmission smoothness as I am pretty curious. I think it should help out at least a little!

7. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Hey I did find new front springs that were only $40 ea, but haven't found struts yet!

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

Rock auto for struts maybe and select Europe for region