1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota LiteAce

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Stuff99, Apr 30, 2009.

1. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Stuff, you've got better access than I do to the engine from the picture! I gotta reach down into the guts to get at anything ....

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

that engine access is pure luxury compared to mid engine minis.:p

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

it seems like it yes, but that is pretty much all you CAN see. cant get at anything really, and cant see down the far side or the back even... im thinking i might have to take the box off or might have to saddle up and take it to a shop and get them to look it over... i did find rebuilt engines for it on ebay for 690 euro + shipping...

4. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

Does your drivers seat fold forward to give you access to your air filter?
    Jeremy's mechanic figured out how to remove a bunch of stuff on my van to gain more access to the motor in it!
    Count yourself lucky that it has been starting for you, my van now has 2 batteries, bat blankets block heater and oil pan heater..... Motor has to glow like christmas tree:eek: Might be taking it in to get the glow plugs checked.Once the wallet has recovered from christmas....

5. Stuff99

in the pic, the hose going out right goes to the filter box.

under drivers seat is the battery. no real access to anything there unless battery is removed.

I got it booked in at a local place to maybe get to work on it this week. gonna ask them to find where the leak is coming from and see what happens from there.

6. Stuff99

been confirmed. rear engine seal is shot... they wont even pull it apart until i have a seal for it in my hand.

7. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Well that sucks, gotta pull the tranny to get at it right? Good luck!

8. Stuff99

ya i assume take the front axle off, and rear axle and pull it off....

9. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Oh man, you better have a heated shop Stuff, it's too cold outside to do that in the driveway!

10. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Wow, that's a nifty little truck! I like the diesel... but I need it to start reliably in the winter and don't have a heated garage... or even garage space since the wife's car gets priority :( Well that and the USA would never allow me to import a diesel even for off road use. Jerks.

11. Stuff99

currently my bus is in the heated space. having fun with the bus doors... a return spring isnt working right and the side without the bar to the drivers area isnt closing right..

and a nice -2 day here. got that bus to start with summer diesel in it to lol

12. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Damn, we where a REALLY wet and warmish 12 degrees today .... I'm not gonna complain!

13. Stuff99

LOL SEND IT THIS WAY!!!!!!!

and so far, no luck on finding a engine seal... hope the celica with teh 2C engine was exactly the same..

14. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Hah, 13 degrees this morning, nice and wet though!

15. Psilosin

Psilosin Member

From the EPC there are 3 possible rear seals that were used on the CM65.

90311-90003
    90311-90005
    90311-90008

Usually the later part number replaces earlier part numbers but not always. If you have the frame number off your Liteace I can likely pinpoint the exact one you need.

Good news is the 90311-90003 was used on the Diesel Corolla in the USA in 1985 so it (or its successor) should be available without too much trouble.

16. slimbad

slimbad Member

Psilosin, I would like to Welcome you to the forum and say how refreshing it is for a new member to provide assistance on their very first post!

Hopefully this will help Stuff99 with his Lite Ace.

later, slim

17. Stuff99

YAY another Liteace owner!

not too sure where to find the frame # on my truck unfortunately. I might have a picture of it on my photobucket. Also whats the EPC?

and the seal for the corolla is what im hoping for, and if i can find one. those were NOT common at all around here.

18. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

19. Psilosin

Psilosin Member

Hey glad to try and help. Not too many Liteace's around so it can be a wild ride trying to find info when you need it.

I imported my Liteace back in 2005 with 6,500km on the odometer. Best truck I've ever owned...definately not the fastest haha but when it comes to getting some work done its versitility can't be beat. And its just a fun vehicle to drive around in. I'll dig up some of my pics of the Liteace and make an introduction post.

I can't remember off the top of my head for the Liteace but on the other Japanese imports I have, the frame number is stamped on the frame just rearward of the front wheels. It should also be on any of your export documents from Japan. Since you have the Diesel 4x4 it should be in the form of CM65-xxxxxxx.

The EPC is the Toyota Electronic Parts Catalog. Its a big download but has ALL the part numbers and parts diagrams for every Toyota vehicle. Its not user friendly at all though and I have no idea if it runs on Vista/Windows7. If you can do without the pictures http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ has adapted the EPC online. Its an awesome resource.

Not sure what your local Toyota dealer is like but if I walk into mine and say I need a part for a Liteace/Hilux Surf/etc they say NO WAY JOSE! but if I walk in with a part number and say its for some obscure CDN/USA Toyota from the 80's they pretty much will order anything. As for online part sources I have been happy with www.toyotapartsales.com out of Dallas, TX, USA. Prices are good and they will ship USPS on request...most places ship only UPS and you will get absolutely destroyed by their outrageous brokerages fees.

20. Stuff99

thanks for the info guys!!

ya i think its a CM65.. and of course those papers are at home and i havent scanned it in yet...

AH HA!! yay for being photo happy

[​IMG]

Edit:

uhoh, toyoDIY.com says its a 91 lol

Market - Japan
    Year - 09/1991
    Make - TOYOTA
    Model - LITEACE TRUCK / TOWNACE TRUCK
    Frame - CM60

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  21. Stuff99

So tried that Toyota Parts Center, well "the number you are calling cannot be reached from your calling area, goodbye *click*"

Toyodiy shows my truck should take 90311‑90008 rear engine seal.

so called "local" Toyota dealership that's 2hrs away, gave him part#, has it in stock, so yay! $40 later and a week it will be mine! (going up there anyhow)

lol when on phone to the parts guy, gave him #, came up as rear engine seal for a diesel, asked what vehicle it was for and i was like crapp... he is gonna get mad at me again, so im like 'umm a early 90's corrola diesel, usa model' lol. he bought it. phew :p

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  22. Stuff99

seal is in. getting it this weekend. booked for friday. hope it works *crosses fingers*

23. Stuff99

24. Stuff99

*crosses fingers* its in the shop today while im at work.. hope all goes good!!

25. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Good luck!

26. Psilosin

Psilosin Member

Woot! Hope you are back on the road for the weekend.

27. Stuff99

IM BACK ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD GUYS!!

6 hours shop labor & parts = $650 bucks though...

and i musta been out of commission longer then i though. I actually got pulled over tonight!! cops were like 'your front lights are out' but the front corner lights are reflective and do not require illumination so i got off on that.

and yes, they did come to the wrong side of the truck first lol!!

also i have old seal to take some pics and compare to. looks like it was a fight to get it out of there.. couple holes in it and its got a kink in it..

28. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

glad shes all fixed:)

29. Stuff99

30. Psilosin

Psilosin Member

Stuff99,

Just wondering how the 195/75R14's tires you have fit. Any rubbing? or pre-requirements to get them to fit?

I need some new rubber for my Liteace but the factory 2WD tires cannot be obtained in Canada (LT6/8ply 13" rim fronts and 12.5" rim rears lol :eek:). The 13" tires in Canada all have very low load ratings so I'm going to make the move to a 14" rim where there are still some 8ply LT options. I'm a little worried about fitment as the stock tires were approx 23" diameter and the 195/75R14's are 25.6". It doesn't look like the 4WD Liteaces have any additional clearance over the 2WDs and you seem happy with the 195/75R14so fingers crossed...