1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

towing a Suzuki w/ hi low

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Max, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Max

Max New Member

I was told that I would have to remove the drive shaft when towing a mini truck. But if it was a Suzuki with hi/low, there is a neutral spot between the hi/low. This would allow the truck to be towed with out removing the drive shaft. Can some one tell me if this is true. Thanks.

2. speedy67

speedy67 Member

To my knowledge there is no problem towing any manual transmission vehicle.

Is there a nuetral detent position in the t-case? If so that is likely the best position, but if it's only just a 'spot', what about when a bump suddenly jars it into gear?

I've towed my Mitsubishi Minicab with no ill effects. I've had in in 4WD sometimes too.

[​IMG]

And as far as dinghy towing an automatic, you just need to leave the engine running, trans in neutral, so that there is lubrication oil being pumped. My Dad towed an auto Cavalier to Phoenix and back that way for several years.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

This has been discussed before. Some bad info is creeping in this thread again. Towing with a manual is not cut and dry. Some manuals get their lubrication from the output shaft side of the transmission. These CAN be dingy towed by leaving them in neutral. Ones that lube through the INPUT shaft cannot, as they will burn up from lubrcation starvation. 4x4's with a neutral position in the transfer case can be towed, as long as the T-case is in neutral. Some automatics can be towed without restrictions, some cannot. Absent an owners manual, one should get with the manufacturer regarding whether or not their auto vehicle can be towed without damage. If one cannot determine if their vehicle is safe to dingy tow, then they should assume NOT, and take the time to remove driveshafts, or haul it on a trailer. The latter costs ALOT less, than replacing expensive drivetrain parts.

Some vehicles that are designed to be dingy towed, should have an off (unlocked) as well as a locked position. Tow with the ignition in the unlocked position, so that the front tires can follow through turns. If your vehicle does not do this, then you'll need to tow with the ignition on, and fashion a method to keep the towed vehicle's battery charged.

4. Max

Max New Member

Thanks guys, both replies were very informative. I want to get a Suzuki Carry 1999 or newer. I would like to get one that has the t-case with the neutral position. If the Carry has hi/low can I assume it has a t-case with the neutral position?

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

No, you cannot assume. I may be wrong on this, since it's been a while since I've played with this particular truck, but I don't remember the Mitsubishi Minicab on Jason's lot having a neutral position between the high and low range on it's lever. Make sure that there is a "N" position between the 4 hi and the 4 lo position. If it's a pushbutton system with a high/low lever only, make sure that there is a "N" between the two positions.

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Just in case anyones interested my 99 Daihatsu has a neutral selection on the transfer case.

7. gbrad

gbrad Member

'99 Suzuki Carry with five speed and hi and lo transfer case does have a nuetral selection in the transfer case.

gbrad

8. Max

Max New Member

Thanks again, all this information is very helpful. This forum is the only place that I can find information on mini trucks.
    :)