1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to goop or not to goop

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by longview, Jun 20, 2011.

1. longview

longview Member

hey guy's i really like the look of my truck with out the spare tire in it's original spot...my question is should i stuff my spare tire in my bed box or keep a compressor with tire goop in the box instead? or should i " goop" up my tires before i need it? not as worried about my tractor tires but more concerned about my street tires ( i have 13" rims on now...spare is a 12" original rim)

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I know what you mean. My personal perference is not to goop and keep the spare in the bed. The goop can cause balance issues.

3. erixun

erixun Member

Keep the spare, and get a small compressor you can stash and a cheap plug kit just in case. I don't care for the goop, ran it in my wheelers and the tire guy called me by a bunch of my middle names :D when he changed them out. I think on a slower machine it might be ok, but I agree with greg could throw one out of balance and cause a bunch of shakin' ya dont need.

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I 2nd or 3rd or 4th. No goop.
    Ever tired to patch a tire that had goop in it. I carry a tire plug kit and small 12v compressor with a spare.
    Or you can buy the kevlar tires. But your sister better be a banker.

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

This is exactly what i carry in my driver. Handy for not only yourself but becomes a life saver for others.

6. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I've definitely have had balance issues using goop on a street driven vehicle. That said, I have used it on various slow speed vehicles and implements around the farm.

7. erixun

erixun Member

Here is what I carry along with my spare....

Tire_repair_kit.jpg

Mini_compressor.jpg

Under_bed_box1.jpg

What you cant see is the tire plugs, tool and cement that are in the pouch with co2 cartridges to inflate after plugging. I know its over kill because I have compressor right next to it... I cant help it, its the boyscout in me. (or the guy who has been stranded in the boonies due to his own stupidity once too many times:D)

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

X10 on the no goop....I too have been called a nasty name or two and had balance issues....anyone ever mount the spare on the front like the Daihatsu Midget??...could be a life saver in an accident as well:):):)
    [​IMG]

9. Daner

Daner Member

Hey fellow Boy Scout! I'm not alone! lol Did you make it to Eagle?
    As for me I agree no goop I have a generator air compressor combo that works well if i'm to lazy to put the spare on. My mini has no spare tire and I haven't been stranded yet but if it does happen somebody will run into a invisible truck on the side of the road.(camo) hehe

oh and as for the tire on the front I see that as one more thing that will be in your lap if you hit something. but it would be useful for pushing things around

10. fupabox

I remember the owners manual in my 1968 beetle warning not to remove the spare tire from the trunk.... because it powered the windshield wiper squirters,and it was part of your crash protection:)

11. Daner

Daner Member

oh yes i remember that on the one i worked on never got those squirters to work tho. have you ever seen those old vw commercials? there was one where the guy drives right into the water and floats there. I want to try that so bad:D

12. fupabox

speaking of floating.(this ended ok because the guy survived) this is supposed to be new footage from a dashcam of a guy caught in the tsunami in Japan in the spring...absolutely incredible video ....Subaru delivery van of some kind......long ,but worth every second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4tqmJgULQY

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  13. longview

longview Member

AMAZING video...... and i have decided to live my life GOOP FREE i will just buy a plug kit and a portable air compressor..:p and stuff my 12" spare into the truck bed box

14. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

fupabox,
    is that tire a digitalized tire on the front of that truck?
    Cleaver.

15. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

ive thought of gooping my tires cause of working at the landfill and people not giving a care about the road and loosing nails etc. ive fixed the tires about 30 times this year so far.. new truck 0 times so far.. lt vs p rated tire..

16. fupabox

microsoft paint :) rear wheel and tire rotated 180 degrees and copied to the front:D