1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires: All Trail versus ATV

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Samurai9, May 31, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I am looking at the Carlisle All Trail tires as a compromise between on-road and off-road capability. How much climbing or mud travel ability do you give up going to the All Trails from big lug, aggressive ATV tires? How much better on the pavement are the All Trails? The official descriptions indicate that the All Trail tires are best for "hard surfaces" rather than for mud or dirt.

Thanks,

Sam

2. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Sam - I have been researching tires and I will be going with the All Trail primarily due to the weight rating of the tire. I don't want a tire that can't support the loaded weight (GWV) of the Carry.

3. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

John, I hope you will give us a report once you have tried out the tires. I know they are popular and have a good load rating but I didn't get any back when I was tire shopping because my use is mainly offroad and up steep hills.

Sam

4. LarryMorris

LarryMorris New Member

Carlisle All Trail

Sam,
    Put the Carlisle All Trails on my 97 Suzuki yesterday with the 7 spoke aluminum wheels & 2" lift kit. Lift kit took about 30 minutes to install.
    Tires came mounted on the wheels and were very out of balance. Drove it around the back roads for a while to make sure the wheels were seated. I immediately saw that the tires were rock throwers - the passerenger could not let his elbow extend past the door very far or the rocks would hit it very hard. FRONT Fender extenders are in order on this one.
    Took all tires and wheels off this morning after riding around a bit longer and had them computer balanced at a cost of $5 each. The balancing was well worth the money. Truck rides and drives like a dream now. Took my wifey for a spin after getting them balanced and she couldn't believe the difference between the stock tires and the all trails tires.
    The taller tire (23") was like gaining another gear which mine needed since it is turbo charged anyways. Drove across a 25' deep creek crossing which was very sandy and had absolutely no problems at all.
    I am happy with the All Trails.

Larry

5. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Wow, 25 feet deep! That truck is also a yacht.

(Ha, ha, ha!)

Sam

6. LarryMorris

LarryMorris New Member

Stream

Sam,
    Just wanted to clarify: Tires worked well on sandy banks at approx. 30 deg. incline - water was only 6" deep. Will probably need bigger tires to make it float :). Also wanted to add that I am running 15 psi in all tires but will try 12 psi in front and 10 psi in back to see if it makes much of a difference.

Thanks.
    Larry

7. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

I've had my Carlisle All Trails 23x8x12" tires on my 2001 Daihatsu for almost two months now.. same size on all 4 corners.. that way I can rotate them when needed. Most of my driving has been on the surface streets here in Phx, Az. maybe two trips to work a week, and some running around. They are loud on the asphalt.. louder than the motor. I did do a few miles offroad with them.. big differance over stock tires. Just sandy Az. trails. Even with the 2" lift.. I still get some rubbing on the front wheelwells... I will keep these mounted on the truck most of the time, but I just picked up some New Carlisle 23x7x12 ACT ATV tires for $25.00 each off eBay localy.. I picked up a portable tire changer from Harbor Frieght, and mounted myself on my stock Daihatsu wheels. Mounted in the front only and tested around the block.. no rubbing at all.. definitly narrower because mounted on stock wheels insted of my aftermarket 7" wides. I will prob runt this set when I trailor the truck for offroad rides.. Pic of the 23x7x12" Carlisle mounted on stock wheel.
    Chris...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  8. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Chris,

I have 25x11-12 Rawhide grip on the back and 25x8-12 on the front. The front tires hit from time to time. These are very aggressive off-road tires that really get the job done with the Hijet four wheel drive. Besides going up hills and and across creeks, I take short jaunts on the paved country roads around my property. And so I was curious about the versatility of the All Trails. For me, offroad comes first and is a necessity. I have two other sets of tires for the truck--stock tires on stock wheels and 23 inch Nanco Super Lugs on stock wheels. Neither of these ever rub, not surprising since I have a three inch lift and cut wheel wells.

Sam