1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire changing machine.

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by jpfanne, Oct 4, 2007.

1. jpfanne

jpfanne Member

Does anyone know if these universal portable tire machines are worth buying? I'm trying to get away from having the local tire shop mount my tires since I won't be buying them from him. I'm sure he won't give me a great deal because of that. Anyway, I found some of these machines on ebay and was wandering if anyone used them, and if they worked OK with the aluminum wheels that everyone is using. http://cgi.ebay.com/Rand-Portable-T...ryZ11704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

For $40 bux, it's worth a try, IMO. Judging by the pictures, it simply uses the same levering forces that the pneumatic ones do in the tire shops. You'll only be limited by your strength. You'll still need to come up with some method of balancing the tire. If you don't buy it, I just might. ;)

3. tire machine

Jeff,
    A good tire iron will cost you $40, the true test will be when you try to mount floatation tires on stock rims,my guess you will rip the mounting bolts out of the floor or bend or break the tire machine.These manual machines are ok, but buy heavy duty.

Steve
    www.stevesautomn.com

4. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Rand is a known brand isn't it? I seem to recall hearing that name regarding automotive tools several times.

5. Wolf,
    Ingersoll Rand is a known brand of quality tools the tire changer on e-bay is not made by Ingersoll Rand but is an off shore knock off with a name spin.Ingersoll Rand make no manual tire machines.

Steve
    www.stevesautomn.com

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Ahh, ok. Still if jpfanne decides he doesn't want it, I may just jump on it. For as many times as I'll need to use one, that one would be more than enough.

7. jpfanne

jpfanne Member

I think there are lots of them out there. Just wanted to know if anyone had used them. Also, does anyone actually balance the wheels/tires on these things if they put on ATV tires? Didn't think I would have to bother with the balancing act, but could be wrong.

Thanks, Jeff

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

For low speed off road use, probably not. My guess would be that the terrain would render the ability for the tire to set up that resonant hopping, like they do on road.

9. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Those things are junk....you can buy them a harbor freight, northern tool, tractor supply, and such stores. But you must securely bolt them to a concrete floor. Otherwise, you cannot put enough leverage on them to seat a stiff tire. Also the biggest problem we have is getting the 6 ply tires to seal, they will not seal with normal air pressure, you need a "cheetah" to do it right.

10. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

I also agree with ABC and Steve.....they are junk. I had one for ATV and trailer tires, just like this one. Paid 40 dollars from Harbor Freight, worked one time before welds cracked and parts started bending. You have to be careful with the "discount" tools.

11. BLES

BLES Member

I have one of these. I have used it and it worked on a car tire but I usually have them installed and balanced when I buy a new set, included in the price. They aren't the slickest thing but work ok for tires on farm equipment, etc.. Around here it's 12 or 15 bucks to mount and balance, so 3 or 4 installs and it's paid for. Also, as noted, it must be mounted securely.
    BLES