1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Belt Change

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by maryswells, Feb 9, 2008.

1. maryswells

maryswells Member

Can anyone tell me at what mileage this change should be made. Typically on a Honda Civic say. It would be around 100,000 miles per the manufacture's Specs. Would this hold true for a mini truck.

2. rule of thumb

I believe is 80,000km or about 48k miles. better to do before it breaks. Anyone buying a high milage truck should ensure this was already done

3. maryswells

maryswells Member

Thanks for the info.

4. Sorry, bad data. Correction

Well that is what I get for going from memory. I hit the manual this morning and it is 100,000 KM or 60,000 miles for the OEM replacement schedule. Still important to check on high mileage trucks.

5. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Speaking of timing belt changes... can folks post a description of what was involved if they changed a timing belt? Sort of a step by step guide for their particular truck.

I know that I would be interested in instructions for a Suzuki. If you can post the make of the truck and instructions, we can all benefit! And pics would be nice...:p

6. I have the instructions in Japanese

For a susuki to boot. If some one can take on a translation I will shoot you a PDF

7. DRW

DRW Member

Please send me the PDF file for the Suzuki.

8. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

You can mail me a copy as well...I'll post it in my galleries with the other translated files. Thanks!

9. kargador

kargador New Member

sir, I would like to request a copy of this PDF. Thanks.

lornatek@yahoo.com

10. etownminitrucks

etownminitrucks New Member

Hello.
    I'm working on a customer truck (96 Suzuki) with very uneven compression. (40/70/10 lbs). Belt was replaced 50,000 km's ago but it already feels a tad "sloppy".
    This truck has been used hard. My initial thought is that it skipped time, as it fires but doesn't run on it's own.
    Can anyone tell me if these are interference engines and, if so, will there be damage if the timing belt slips 1 tooth?
    Would such a timing issue alone explain the difference in compression?

I would love a copy of this PDF as well!

Thanks!

Simon
    Etownminitrucks.com

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  11. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

These are without a doubt interference engines. Others may have their own opinions, but I don't think a tooth will make a difference. I inherited my Carry from a guy who lost his timing belt, then after replacing 2 valves, put cam timing about 45 degrees off, and proceeded to rebend the valves he just replaced. :frustration:

You'll surely loose compression as well.. re-align the belt, and test the compression again.

12. etownminitrucks

Thanks for your advice!
    However, I can't really make heads or tails of the timing marks.
    Does anyone know of a good illustration/instruction for this procedure? (Maybe the above mentioned PDF-file...?)
    And the bolt for the alternator-pulley, is that a left-hand thread or conventional? I assume it requires an impact wrench for removal even with such limited space.

13. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Hey..I just found the PDF file. PM me your Email address, and I will send it. It is still in Japanese though.. I haven't had time to translate.

I haven't run into a reverse thread yet on my Carry. All should be conventional. I assume you mean the crank pulley, and unless you have a way to brace the pulley from spinning, you'll probably need an impact wrench.

14. etownminitrucks

Done! :)
    I'll ask one of my Japanese colleagues to translate.

15. javier123

javier123 New Member

Sir i want the manual of suzuki carry 660 cc 12 valves f6a engine.

16. ajarroyos

ajarroyos New Member

procedure

I would appreciate a copy of the procedure as well. Thanks.