1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is pretty cool

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Mighty Milt, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

This is not advertising since it's not mini truck realated, but we just launched our website for the company i work for. i thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing one of the machines we use here. at the bottom of the page is the videos section. this is one of our four water jets in action. keep in mind the water coming out of the tip is a .040 stream pushing 60,000PSI and moving at a speed of MACH 2. it's really phenomenal. i've been working on the machines (mechanically) for over 2 years and am still amazed at what we can do. i cut through an 8" billet of T6, just to see if i could :D

http://velocitywaterjet.com/

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Kinda makes a guy want to go to work with those kinda toys to play with :D
    8" billet in one pass - cool!

3. gbrad

gbrad Member

Hi Milt,

That is pretty cool.

I'm not really familiar with those machines, but I have seen big plasma cutters. What kind of power requirements does a machine like that need?
    Does the water jet perform better on certain materials?

It's amazing that water can be utilized in such a way.

gbrad

4. Mighty Milt

it's 480V and it's hydraulic over water. basically a giant electric motor turns a hydraulic pump which operates an intensifier. the indensifier changes the hydraulic pressure 20:1. so that means that 3000PSI haydraulic becomes 60,000PSI water.

these have a far better edge quality than a plasma cutter, not to mention you can only cut some metals with a plasma since they work on electricity and need to pass current through the material they are cutting. i have run those machines in the past. but the biggest advantage to water jet is little to no prep before assembly and i have cut wood, plastic, brake lining material, copper, brass, stone, ceramic.... everything just about. some industries use water jets for cutting food, fabric even for making diapers. go figure, huh?

oh, and the water goes through a mixing chamber at the cutting head and abrasive is added for better cutting on some materials.

here's the home site for the type of waterjets we use. http://flowcorp.com/

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Cool! We have a lazer cutter at my work but it has a relatively easy life cutting thin wall aluminum, steel and ti tubing. I don't think we can go through anything much thicker than 1/4" steel.

6. Mighty Milt

the shop next door is a stainless steel shop and they use a big laser and anything beyond their capability makes it's way to our shop. they were trying to cut brake lining material and it was reflecting and refracting the light and burning people... pretty scarey to see it bouncing all over the place :eek:

here's a link to the other site we just launched to the other portion of our company to see some of what we produce for the public www.rockharddesigns.net

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Apologies in advance Milt.

I had to use my Farmers Almanac to look up a word from post #4

Haydraulic: verb i.e. When some field critter gets caught in the baler.

Example: "We sure haydraulic'd that weasel just now" :eek:

To good to pass on it :rolleyes: