1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things I should know before buying a 93 Mitsu Mini

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab References' started by thatharleyman, May 11, 2010.

1. thatharleyman

thatharleyman New Member

I have found a mitsu mini truck for $2800... the truck is clean as can be inside and out... runs good... everything works and has a 3 inch lift already on it. The only problem i came across is that it overheated after running for about 5-10 mins... the owner said that he just replaced the head gasket not too long ago. He also says that this is common in these trucks when they sit and idle for too long. Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for before I buy? Thanks guys!!

2. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

well i dont think its common i can let mine sit at idle and it dont heat i keep my truck on the trails have rode it all day temp stayes the same check and see if radiator fins are clean and check clutch fan for free play hope this helps

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Its probably more trouble than its worth. I'd say if you really want the truck your probably looking at replacing the engine. Might want to price that as a worse case senario.

4. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

when I got mine it used to over heat when I did the 26 miles in to town, the temp slowly built up but never did it on small runs. It turned out one of the brazed pipes had come loose for the carb heater and the fix in Japan was to Dump a load of leak stop into the radiator, back flushed the rad and it was like new and of cause I mig'd the little pipe back on,another thing I've noticed with mini trucks is how much rust i have seen in radiators I guess the Japs aren't to quick on the coolant and faster on tap water due to these being throw away trucks in Japan @ that price if its not beaten up, not smoking and u r handy "I would risk it for a biscuit" but then again a Picture tells a 1000 words and I cant see 1:cool:

5. thatharleyman

thatharleyman New Member

Thanks for all the info fellas... I went ahead, rolled the dice and traded for the truck. I had a 04 Foreman 450S that had some issues. Brought it home today... flushed the radiator... and it ran cooler. I noticed that it will run warm on the gauge and then all of sudden drop dowm in temp... thinkin that the thermostat is sticking. I noticed the fluid out of the radiator didn't look so good.... hence the flushing. Went ridin in it this afternoon with one of my good buddies and I must say I love it... although we didn't have any beer it was still a blast. It seems to need a little bit more power so I'm gonna work on the air intake some and take off the catalytic converter. So now that I'm a proud owner.... any good tips or recommended upgrades guys??

6. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

i trade a atv for mine and in my book u couldnt give me another fourwheeler i love it post some pic glad its working out for you

7. thatharleyman

thatharleyman New Member

Hey Kioti... thanks for all the info.. I seem to be having some carb issues. It starts up and runs fine... however it has a real high idle... even after adjusting the idle screw. Also it will run that way for a minute or so then start to sputter and die. It will take off but seems to have a dead spot in the carb or something... do you know where I can get a rebuild kit or any kind of diagram... troubleshooting or anything? Thanks...

8. erixun

erixun Member

On your radiator cooling issue, my truck did the same thing, I flushed mine with a chemical scale remover/cleaner/flush stuff from a local auto parts store, then ran it till warm, then flushed it like that (fill,run,drain) about 5 times with just water till clean, each time letting it completely warm up. I got a ton of crap out of mine, and I think I still have some more. It took care of the high temp at idle issue, and the sudden cool down you described, now stays the same temp no matter how fast or slow I go. I did not have to replace my thermostat, I think the gunk inside would catch on something until the coolant/water would build up enough pressure/heat to dislodge what ever was blocking the line. I also took some hoses off and blew compressed air, I think my hose going to my over flow bottle was about 97% blocked off with crap. And I agree with the above statement about them not using coolant, I think they used ditch water!:D Mine looked like it should have patatoes growing in it! Also see if you have any air in your system, some trucks have a bleeder screw by the thermostat.... :pop:

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  9. N7MOG

N7MOG Member

finicky carb and over heating

First the carb. Check all the vacuum hoses, easy to have bad vacuum signals. The main pick-off on the intake manifold seems to age prematurely, hard to get to, just trace it out under the center console.
    My '93 has no issues for overheating at all and I've idled for long periods at time when I'm fencing on the property. I'd dare say that you have a problem to chace down.
    Bill

10. kioti2008

kioti2008 Member

sounds like a vacume leak to me take carb cleaner and spray everywhere ther is a vavume line and there is a lot the engine speed will change if it hits a leak i had one and thats the only way i found it also cheak your air box and make sure the trap door is opening to hot wether side if it dosent it will flood always check the easest and cheapest first have fun