1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Large Truck Thread

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Stuff99, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Colin

Colin Member

I dunno.

They're big industrial trucks. Your call.

Maybe we could have a subforum for "Any other crazy stuff from Japan." :D

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

i think "Large Kei Trucks" or something. there is some interest in them but not enough for splitting them all up into manufacturers like the kei's

3. Onion Seller

Onion Seller New Member

We Could Call Them.................?

Kie-n-worths!!!!!!!!!:d

4. Stuff99

lol thats bad :p

5. Onion Seller

Onion Seller New Member

Kie-n-worths!

A KIE-N-WORTH would be:Any cabover from Japan with RHD and a Diesel engine that is bigger than a Mini-Truck

6. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

Hehe KIE-N-WORTH... I dunno either, a sub forum would be nice to move this out of the smaller truck discussions. Not sure if people browsing would get that. Maybe something like Stuff99 suggested "Large Kei Trucks"

7. Stuff99

so dose anyone carry these larger trucks? like the isuzu and the toyota townace?

8. Onion Seller

Onion Seller New Member

Maxoverdrive.ca

Stuff99,
    I got my Elf from www.maxoverdrive.ca They are located in Richmond BC

A lot of the importers will get you one,if you give them a deposit.

9. pudding

pudding New Member

larger mini trucks

hey there, you guys get round the larger japanese trucks the mazda titan/T3500 etc, mitsi canters, toyota dynas. diahatsu's

in particular, i have a toyota dyna as a daily driver, its a BU107 chassis with a 15b (4.1 litre), diesel, with 5spd,

its a awesome truck, pulls hard, still does 70mph on the road, with 4,500kg total weight bouncing allong

only up to recently when i had problems with the fuel limiter connected to the first and reverse gear sensor that did i realise, i know nothing about this truck, is there anything on the net? or do we need to create something, I know there is some toyota sites round, but they mainly emphasis on the recreational vehicles

after mechanic/customers opinions, two deseil engine shops, i figured it out, and disconnected the fuel limiter cause it was operating in the normal gears holding the truck back on the road, and giving a slightly louder engine noise,

Attached Files:

10. Colin

Colin Member

;)

11. Schick

Schick Member

I've got one.

Finally noticed this thread.

I just wanted to add that I recently purchased a Mazda Titan. It's a 1.5 Ton 4 cylinder 2.5 liter.

I know this is "Mini Truck Talk", but I can see the interest in mid-size trucks growing. Anyone else out their besides a few hiace owners and me?

12. Stuff99

seems only a few of us sadly..

13. Schick

Schick Member

Hey stuff99, what do you drive? Titan?

14. Stuff99

Currently I got a Toyota Liteace. large kei truck. bout equivalent to a 1 ton? 750kg rated carrying capacity. 1998cc diesel w/5 speed column shift. search for toyota liteace on here to see my pics.

15. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

I guess I'm on the "big Kei's" list now too!

More pics to look at:

;):D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  16. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

wow that sucker looks clean...

17. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Nice Steve! I like it!

18. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Thanks Guys, I'm quite happy with it for sure, and it should do some work for me too.

19. Stuff99

ohhhh powered liftgate!! nice!! I see its a Canter. whats the specs? also i see it has bc tags. your pics or guy you bought it off of?

20. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Sorry, I seem to be taking up 2 theads about my truck

I think I will be sticking with the "Large truck thread" from now on,

Yes, this is sitting in my driveway I took all the pics posted about the truck.

36,500kms, (20,000 miles) 1989 Mitsubishi canter work truck, 2wd, 2.8 liter diesel, 5 speed, dropsides (for forklift side loading) ,powergate tailgate,
    10'x63" box size, seats 3, has 4 tires on the back too for carrying,
    3,200lb carrying capacity, 1440 lb max lifting gate.
    24 volt system, (yes even the lighter) so it runs 2 12v batteries,

The lift gate seems to run on a small hydralic pump and has steel lines running to big pistons on each side.

Just ordered new 8 ply Yokahama tires for the front 195/75/14's

Got a surprise yesterday, the oil filter and air filter was $140 after taxes, the air filter was $75 of that .
    They are both very big in size

The truck has lot's of handy things about it, like:
    built in clip board between the seats
    easy access fuse box, and clutch fluid,
    lots of strap hooks for securing the loads,
    a built in dash knob for higher idle at startup
    Power gate works with the truck turned off
    easy engine access,

The big air filter box is just in front of the front tire under the truck, a metal box with 3 thumb screws

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  21. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Sounds like a real workhorse Steve! Is this the one from Japanoid? They had a similiar one for sale I think when I went and picked up some parts from them.

22. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Yes Jason,

It's the one from Japanoid, but I got it from the owner not the dealer, saving some money
    I fit would stop raining I could work on it!

(not that I'm made of sugar)

23. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Wow, I just drool each time I head over there to pickup bits. I really had to control myself when they had those Subaru Domingos in! That's a pretty big truck, real workhorse and it should run forever too! I hear you on the rain, it's pretty demotivational to go outside and do stuff lately.....

24. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

I found this on the web today,

if you were wondering what a new version of a Mitsubishi Canter looks like, here it is.:cool:

Looks expensive

Attached Files:

25. Stuff99

as the "king of obsolete" would say, "more chrome then in my bathroom"

back to your truck, i also have the idle adjustment screw knob thingy on the dash. very very very helpful to get the truck to warm up in the winter!! mornings running at regular speed it wont warm up!

for a radio if you want one, go to semi truck dealer ship / parts store. they will have 24v radios there. even sirius ready ones if you bother with those in the hills :p

I also think you got roughly the same size tires on your truck as my liteace!! where did you find 8 ply tires for it!! the ones i got were okay but the fronts look low all the time...

and yes, oil/air filters are not cheap. oil filter for mine is $45 i think.

good luck on tweaking her out!

26. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

This one has a stock radio and it works.

Now about the tires, Mine has the small wheels so the truck is lower for loading I guess.

I ordered at a local tire store after having no luck at the online tire atores for a better deal.

Right now the truck has 185/14c all around, I think this would be the same as a 184/82/14,?

But I wanted a tad wider on the front so I went with the 195/75/14, the same rolling diameter (25 1/2") but 1/2 an inch wider cross section.

I think they are the Yokohama y340's? or 370's?, and have the proper load rating (they are on order)

The truck door sticker says 8 ply on rears and 6 ply on fronts, but I went 8 on the fronts.

the new ones are $158 each before any taxes, etc, not cheap.

I found plenty of passenger tires 185/ (P) for sale cheap,$68-$120, but no light truck tires (LT)
    Being a work truck it can haul over 3000lbs on the back and needs those extra ply's.

Steve

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  27. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

A shot of oil and air filter

Just in case anyone wanted to see what the oil and air filter looked like, here you go.

I also got 2 jugs of this diesel oil for it, and it took 1.3jugs this size, so that's a big oil pan.

The oil on the oil pan is not a leak, it's from me driving a screwdriver through the oil filter to twist it off, (I didn't have a wrench that big):frustration:

Attached Files:

28. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

And the pics just keep on commin!

Painted the box, and tailgate today.

Attached Files:

29. Stuff99

she is looking good!!! tremclad black n white? lol

and damn i wish i knew about those tires sooner!! ill wait to see what the tread looks like. if they look good i might consider a set aswell. right now the ones i have are good for winter. 2wd = crap but 4wd it goes no problem.

30. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

No I bought some Industrial Enamel, expensive, but the best I could find.

No rattle cans here!;)