1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki AWD Confusion

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Mathew, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Mathew

Mathew New Member

Greetings all.
    New to mini trucks and new to the forum.
    I have a 1990 Suzuki Every Van. Just in the process of attending to its needs. Fortunately not a great deal to do. A left front axle and a couple of wheel bearings and it should be set. The thing runs great and is a ball to drive.
    It's a manual shift AWD.
    My question is: How does the AWD work on this vehicle? When on a lift, the back wheels turn with throttle. The front axles are not moving.
    Not sure if something is wrong or does it need slip to engage the front?
    In other words, what causes the front axles to engage? There are no buttons or switches in the interior.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

Does it have a switch on the shifter for 4x4 or is it true AWD?

3. Mathew

Mathew New Member

No switch anywhere.
    Appears to be true AWD

4. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

Odd, best things i can suggest check first are that the front axles and driveshaft weren't removed for any reason and check fuses, otherwise it might be one of the system where the front tires don't kick in unless the rear wheels slip like ford aerostar had

5. Mathew

Mathew New Member

No fuse issues. It must be a mechanical system of some variety.

No one's truck or van has a similar drive system?

6. ttc

ttc Active Member

Should be the same as the truck. I have a hijet that uses engine vacuum and vacuum switches to the diaphragm units that engage the 4x4

7. Mathew

Mathew New Member

Thanks for the vacuum information.
    Do you what triggers the front axle to engage? Does it work off of rear wheel slip or maybe sensing loss of traction in the front?

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

I thought the Suzuki's and diahatsu all where actually 4x4 with push button to engage or a lever between the seats

9. Mathew

Mathew New Member

Can't find a lever or switch anywhere
    It must be automatic of some type

10. matt167

matt167 Active Member

with all 4's off the ground, hold the brake a little while trying. That will simulate a need for AWD

With only knowing the era of the vehicle, and the simplicity of KEI vehicles, the system can't have much more than a viscous center diff or an electronic clutch.

11. Mathew

Mathew New Member

Great idea.
    It's going in today for a front left axle and wheel bearing.
    I'll ask the mechanic to try the brakes on while it is in the air
    Thanks