1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

studded tires

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Smf834, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Smf834

Smf834 Member

Is there anything wrong with using studded tires for farm/backyard duties on a minitruck?

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I run them all winter.

3. Smf834

Smf834 Member

What about mixing studded tires and mud tires of slightly different size, ie 155 stud tires vs 6x12 mud tires? Mostly low speed around the back, nothing on driveway etc...

4. matt167

matt167 Active Member

If you want to blow the transfer case

5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I think this could be debate able! Matt, I don't want to dismiss your valuable information, and I truly mean that, but, If the breather is working properly, the fluid is up to snuff, and the sizes are close, in tolerances, and THE OWNER, IS HONEST ABOUT, NOT RAILROADING, THE UNIT! Then, I truly believe, that their is some forgiveness, within the operation! The STUDDED, PART DOESN'T BOTHER ME! He used the phrase, slightly different sizes! So with that in mind, and I completely understand your concern,(which is a very good point), I feel caution should be taken, but I wouldn't shy away from it!
    Limestone

6. Smf834

Smf834 Member

The reason i ask is, i didnt want to invest in alot of money initially, so i found 2 studded tires for cheap, but they are 155x12, so slightly “wider”. My plan all along was to put carlisle true 6x12 mud tires. So my thought was, can i mix, or should i just put 4 carlisle mud tires?

7. matt167

matt167 Active Member

It isn't worth the risk. If the tires are different in circumference at all, your putting extra pressure on the transfer case. Possibly not a lot, but start spinning them and your going to break something...

8. Smf834

Smf834 Member

So 4 carlisle 6x12 and call it a day?

it just dawn on me we are not dealing with 2wd here, and i now totally see the need for 4 identical tires. Sorry for the newbie questions!

9. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

The old saying,"Caution on the side of error", comes to mind! Matt, brings up some good points! Play it safe!

10. Smf834

Smf834 Member

Besides carlisle mud tire, is there econ m+s stock tires that handle uphill in wet grass well?

11. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Nothing in a 12" currently available will work well on grass. If you swap to a 14" then there are Nokian snow tires that work well on grass. I ran my '92 Carry on the road and had the snow tires year round. It was nice because I also used it as a UTV on my property with no damage to the lawn

12. Smf834

Smf834 Member

Besides the lug size of 4x100, what other considerations for upping the tire radius to 13 or even 14”? I know the upper width of the tire should be about 175?

13. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The diamater needs to be between 21-23". 165/65R14 is a pretty common tire you can get in a snow. ~22" tall, 165mm wide