1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spell check

Discussion in 'News and Site Support' started by Windmill, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Windmill

Windmill Member

Need to add spell check down by the Submit New Thread and Preveiw Post. For those of us who cannot spell.

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

There is a spell checker in the upper right corner of the message window. You will need to install the spell check software in order for it to work. Follow all the links to get it installed.

-Greg

3. Sagype

Sagype New Member

I think we should do spell check for making posts better one so everybody can get them into the heads so easy.

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

:D I can haz spellcheck on teh internets?

Actually, my pet peeve (that spell check won't help with) is the proliferation of apostrophe misuse. Some folks insist on putting them everywhere. I belong to another board where there is a member who puts an "apostrophe s" for EVERY plural noun. No, I have never said anything and never will but it sure is hard to read.

For instance: It would be "We have two Sambars for sale." not "We have two Sambar's for sale". (Two of Sambar's what? Two seats from a Sambar?) :p

The rules are basically pretty simple. A good guide can be found HERE. Especially note rule #11 as that's the one that I see most violated.

Why get all worked up about it? Well, grammar and punctuation rules are like the "terms of engagement" for written communications. They are the road signs, lane markers and stop lights that smooth the traffic of language. Sure I understand what the guy on the other forum means even though he makes every noun a plural possesive but it makes it much more difficult to read and takes away from the effectiveness of what he's trying to say.

By the way, there is a really fun book called Eats, Shoots and Leaves which I'd recommend. It's a very quick and amuzing look at punctuation.

Oh, and I am certainly not an expert in punctuation and spelling myself. I'm sure there are plenty of errors in this post. :frustration:

5. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

spele ckech iss fore yuu looser's that caint spells oops speel's

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

This es becomeing a wooked on fonic's thread!