1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedometer cable attachment

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Kevin in NC, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Kevin in NC

Kevin in NC Member Supporting Member

Good evening all,
    I just got my '90 Suzuki Carry dump last week and this forum has already been useful to me as I get to know my truck. The windshield washer spray nozzle was loose and the only way I could tighten the inner nut was to move the dash back just enough to get my hand inside on the nut. Problem solved and dash re-attached. What I didn't know was that I had inadvertently detached the speedometer cable. Someone mentioned in another thread on dash removal that you could reach up under the dash to re-attach the speedo cable. I could reach in and feel the cable and the attachment point but simply could not get it to go back on. What I needed was a universal joint halfway between my elbow and my wrist. After much cursing, pain and some bleeding I found a way to do it. There was a stamped steel brace under the dash that prevented me from reaching the speedo cable and getting a good grip on it. I dropped the steering wheel onto the seat and removed the 12mm bolt on one end. Then, working blind, I removed the bolt on the other end.

2. Kevin in NC

Kevin in NC Member Supporting Member

Well, duh, I didn't mean to post yet. The bracket was on the driver's side, running diagonally from beneath the brake master cylinder to the larger piece just behind the steering column. Getting that bracket out let me reach straight in and re-attach the speedo cable. I was trying to post photos but the site says they're too large. Anyway, the speedo works again now. On to the next problem.
    Kevin in NC