1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedo Conversion

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by collinsmotorsportsinc.com, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Here is a pic of my speedo. I ran it down the road with the gps marked the MPH at each of the larger marks then used my vinyl cutter to cover the KMH & Cut out MPH numbers. Works great now I don't have to figure all the time that im driving.
    Cheyenne

Attached Files:

greg0187 likes this.
  2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice and straight forward. Cool!

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Man that looks great. Good Job!

-Greg

4. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

That looks like it would be a good way to account for different sized tires as well!

5. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Looks Great!

That is cool! I need to do that. I went from stock 12" wheels to 13" wheels and slightly larger tires. Much better road speed and top end, but I know my speedometer is way off now. Looks Great!

6. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Now you won't be as prepared for the great Metric conversion in our country :p

(good job!)

7. jtpc

jtpc Member

I posted this on another thread, but saw it fits here as well:

I just got my gps unit and found that my speedometer was off.
    My speedometer reads 100kmh when I'm going 55mph. I was surprised because my truck is a stock 04 hijet with stock wheels/tires.
    Glad I got the GPS though because now I won't get run over going 47mph thinking I'm going 55! :)

I bet most stock trucks aren't going as fast as they claim when getting in the 80khm+ speeds. (seems mine is accurate in the slower speeds)
    So I'd recommend all mini-truck owners who drive them on the roads to get a GPS just so we all won't get a bad reputation having these trucks putting on the highway at 45mph thinking they are going faster.

~Josh

8. thejax

thejax New Member

I believe there is a law in the US that requires speedos to be calibrated and work correctly. I am not sure if what i am saying is 100% true but I never seen a speedo on a US sold car be inaccurate over/under 2 mph. If this is the case, my opinion is Japan and China just require it to work.

Imagine getting pulled over. "No officer, I actually DON'T know how fast I was going. See my speedometer works, but it is always incorrect. Yet, its always done that". LOL

9. In the original post I set everything up with a GPS. This is one of the reasons I checked it and made the new numbers This truck actually has low profile tires so it was quite a bit off.
    Cheyenne

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  10. jtpc

jtpc Member

Not sure. Haven't heard about that.
    There is only one place in my whole area of the state that calibrates speedometers on cars and I highly doubt all the dealers around here take the vehicles I've traded in and have the speedometers reset everytime.
    They just assume that the speedometers are close enough, though acknowledging that they may be off some. My BMW that I bought new had a speedomoter off by 7mph and I called the dealers and they claimed, "yeah, that is normal" (and it was all stock straight from the factory).
    All they offered was to bend the needle.
    My Jeep that had a lift and larger tires was never checked by the dealer as to the speedometer when I traded it in and they resold.

So if there is some law, they sure can't enforce it with as many vehicles that are out on the road.
    Here in Oklahoma we don't even have to have vehicle inspections because it proved to be an inefficient waste of time and money. No way to regulate whether the inspectors were really inspecting the cars or just giving people the stickers.
    And a law that can't be enforced is irrelevant and looks bad for the local gov, so they usually take the law away.
    (such as the anti-smoking in restaurants law Oklahoma passed. They couldn't enforce it and make the restaurants stop using the smoking section, so that law was dropped later on. Plus in my opinion it violated the restaurant owners' rights. They should be able to allow smoking in their own restaurant if they want to.)

11. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

my speedo is off by 10%, i just do quick math in my head and i'm fine... the worst thing is that 10% is fast, so my vehicle shows more miles than it actually has... i really need to address that issue.

12. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

its not mini truck related but gps/speedo related. few years ago i was down to missouri and buddy had a gps. he showed me going 60 when i was doing 64 (100km/hr). but i believe this was due to a cruise control addon doing that. but hey, sometimes going slower then the speedo is good. less likely to get that one ticket everyone dose not need~!