1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Limiter on 1995 Daihatsu?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Samurai9, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Yesterday I took the truck out on a paved county back road and got it into fourth gear. The odometer read 30 kmh, which I believe is 18 mph. I have no idea if that is correct. I thought I was going faster than that but the Super Lug tractor tires make for a really rough ride on asphalt. Can anyone tell me if my truck is likely to have a speed limiter?

Thanks,

Samurai

2. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

30kmh=18.461mph Sounds like a "limiter" to me. Ours has 23x8x12 with pretty good size lugs. We've had ours up to 70kmh/44.651mph. So, evidently ours is not "limited"

3. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I have now read several messages stating that governors limited trucks to first gear and reverse. Since I have four forward gears, I do not think my truck is speed limited. I was not going top speed at 30kmh; I just decided not to push it any faster. The truck was making quite a racket and riding very roughly on the clunky tires, so I backed off on the gas.

Samurai

4. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

it should run 90 KPH with a 4 speed & stock tires .

Roadcap likes this.
  5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

6. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

so it just dosnt let them shift in gears other then 1st and reverse...

7. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

That takes away a lot of the fun, don't you think?

Samurai

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

i'd say that take all the fun out of them!

9. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I intend to obtain a set of street tires on their own wheels so I can drive the Hijet on the road if necessary. Driving on the road above ten miles an hour with ATV tires is not something I want to do.

Samurai

10. matt419

matt419 New Member

Samurai, call Jones Equipment in Fort Worth, 817-698-0500, they can tell you where the limiter is.

11. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Thanks, Matt, but it is clear my truck does not have a speed governor. I would not buy a mini truck that had one.

Samurai

12. matt419

matt419 New Member

Speed limiter

Samurai, I think you and I have discussed about the transfer case. If not, you probably have a transfer case and there is a snap ring on the internal shaft that prevents it from going into high range. Yes, even 2WD's have transfer cases. PK Trax and Horns and he can probably help you. Good luck. Ihave the same problem on my 91 2WD but have not got into it yet.

13. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Matt,

My truck has no restrictor on the gear shift and no bump under the gas pedal. If there is some other kind of speed limiter, I am not aware of it. I am going to get a set of road tires for the thing and that will allow me to see how fast it will go. Thus far, I have limited myself to about 30 kph (about 18 mph)--according to the speedometer-- simply because the tractor tires make the truck ride so rough on asphalt. I have gotten it into fourth gear several times and certainly did not reach top speed.

Samurai

14. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I am still thinking about this question. My 1995 Hijet has no visible restrictor on the gear shift or under the gas pedal. Were any of these trucks speed limited with some other kind of device that would allow the truck to get into fourth gear but still prevent going over 25 mph?

Thanks,

Samurai

15. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Ours has no restrictive plate on the shifter, and I believe that it either "slipped" through, or it has been removed because WITH the 23x8x12 "knobby" tires, I've it up to 70+kl mph.

16. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

There seem to be many of the trucks that can go well over 25 mph. So either the trucks were imported and sold without speed limiters, or someone removed them.

Samurai

17. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Today I put street tires on the truck and took it out on country roads. I got it up to 70 kph twice; this would be 43.4 mph if the odometer is accurate. The truck was not at top speed; I chose not to go over 70 on this mediocre surface. I could not get up my steep hill with the street tires, but the first 50yards of the road is now in horrible condition.

I have now bought five Daihatsu wheels with stock tires from G and R Imports. They ship fast and the tires and wheels were in decent condition. Each of the five tires was a different brand, but the same size--145R12. Three tires came seeming to hold air; two had leaking valve stems-- less than $4 to correct at Wal-Mart auto service.

Samurai

18. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

I've had my 2001 Daihatsu Hi Jet at 100kph with power to spare. So I'm sure mine has no restrictor. This was with stock wheels and tires, 5 speed.
    Chris.. phx Az.

19. dynamicac

dynamicac New Member

Daihatsu Speed Limiter Governor

I have a 92 Daihatsu left hand drive, street legal 2wd 4 speed, I can't seem to get it over 20mph in 4th gear. I called G&R Imports in MO. who specialize in this type of vehicle. They advised the governor is either on the distributor or the carborator. Does anyone have more information on how to disconnect the speed control.

20. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

pm beerwagon . he has a truck like yours & dealt with the same issue . ;)

21. decibles

decibles New Member

same problem

I have the same issue I have however taken care of the governor I don't know what year mine isi but it had a coupler between the speedo cable and the t-case, I just connected the cable directly to the t-case and tied the coupler up and left the wires attached to it.

Now it will go about 30 mph which my speedo is in mph and it is wound out I have began checking the t-case shift rail for the snapring I wil keep you posted.

22. dynamicac

dynamicac New Member

Speed Limiter on Daihatsu Hijet

I received spec sheets from Lee at daihatsu, Daihatsu cut a groove in the shaft rail and installed an E clip (High range lockout) which prevents the shift fork, transfer case from going from Low to High speed as per the federal government's requirement.

23. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

sounds more like a transfer case issue or engine trouble not a shift restrictor. Or possibly you said that you felt like you were going faster than 18mph...maybe your speedodmeter is shot? It doesn't sound like anything to do with restriction on the speed to me.

24. decibles

decibles New Member

here is a picture

just separate the two halfs of t-case and remove the e-clip and discard put back together add oil and I am going 50 mph and can still start in second gear!

Attached Files:

25. dynamicac

dynamicac New Member

E-clip removal

Did you have to take the transfer case apart? I was told you could access it from an inspection plate and remove the e-clip with needle nose pliers.

26. decibles

decibles New Member

Yeah I couldn't see any way to get to it without dissasembly. I double checked once I had it apart there was not an access cover anywere near it. May be on some years I don't know however the whole job only took 45 minutes, with an air impact, I was lucky the gasket stayed together it would be a good idea to have one or at least some gasket paper to make a new one if needed!

27. dynamicac

dynamicac New Member

E-clip removal

Thanks for the info and photo, I'm having mine removed tomorrow and this is a great help.

28. decibles

decibles New Member

just in case you need it...

here is another picture, and a little more infor:

You don't have to remove the output housing from the rear half to dissasemble, but you will have to remove the motor mount and bracket from the case I left the mount bracket attached to the frame however it may be easier to just remove it also. If you need anything else let me know.

Attached Files:

29. hijet95

hijet95 New Member

Hijet95

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I see that you are talking about speed limiter. I recently bought a 95 LHD Hijet jumbo from a this old guy, but anyway my truck is not up and running yet due to old broken fuel line I need to replace. I registered it and it's street legal with motorcycle license plate. I am AZ. I notice under my dash, a small black box said speep limiter. So I am thinking my truck is limited to maybe 25MPH? I will let you all know when I have it going or anyone out there have rempved one and make it work. speed limiter.JPG

30. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I have a 1993 Hijet, no speed limiter. But I recently had occasion to lift up the bottom floor mat and found evidence of welding under the gas pedal. There were a couple of small holes through the sheet metal and a lump of melted metal. This makes me think that there was something under the gas pedal to prevent it from being depressed all the way. There are probably similar marks under the gear shift sleeve (indicating that previously there was a limiter there) but it is too much trouble for me to look. I must say that I am glad the truck came to me without any limiters. When I bought it over eBay I wasn't aware of this issue.

Sam