1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spark Plugs and Oil filters

Discussion in 'References' started by chadhite, Aug 9, 2007.

1. chadhite

chadhite Member

Here are referance numbers on oil filters. I HAVE USED THEM ON MY TRUCKS BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE THREADED HOLE IN THE CENTER OF THE FILTER IS THE SAME AS WHAT YOU PULL OFF OF YOUR TRUCK. There are really only two filters that you will need to fit any mini truck. The numbers below on oil filters are NAPA numbers but if you add a 1 or 5 to the front of the numbers your auto store will pull up WIX fiters. WIX produces most Napa oil filters. If you don't know what kind of truck you have you can buy these two filters and one or the other will fit 95% of the mini trucks out there. The only differance in the filters are the threaded holes in the center.

NAPA 1394 WILL FIT THESE TRUCKS:
    SUZUKI F5A660CC AND F6A 660CC ENGINES
    DAIHATSU EF 660CC ENGINES

NAPA 21365 will fit these trucks:
    Honda HA2
    Honda HA4

Subaru KS engines

Spark Plugs
    These are the plugs I have used in my trucks. BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE PLUGS YOU PULL FROM YOUR TRUCK HAVE THE SAME LENGTH THROAT AS WHAT YOU REPLACE THEM WITH. DON'T WORRY THE SUZUKI PLUG WILL ALLOW YOU TO GET YOUR PLUG SOCKET INTO THE VALVE COVER. GENERAL RULE OF THUMB, PLUGS CAN BE SET A .035 THOUSANDS ON MOST MAKES.

Suzuki F5A and F6A NAPA# 3932
    DAIHATSU EF 660 AUTOLITE# 64
    HONDA HA4 660 NAPA 6962
    SUBARU KS 660 AUTOLITE# 5224

AGAIN THESE ITEMS ARE WHAT WORKED ON MY TRUCKS PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK WHAT YOU TAKE OUT OF YOUR TRUCKS.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  2. Colin

Colin Member

For what it's worth, I arrived at the same plug (Autolite 5224) for my Sambar last night at work. I found an interchange from the original Denso plugs to NGK on a japanese site, then attempted to interchange the NGK plug number to a stock number... didn't work, as the plug is apparently not available from NGK stateside. I found a pretty close plug (in that it had a gasket seat, same heat range, same thread length, and was also a copper resistor plug) and it interchanged to the Autolite 5224. Consider your work double-checked. :)

Colin

3. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Kevin,

Another good thread for the reference section.

4. Super Mini Trucks

Super Mini Trucks New Member

Concur

This oil filter info is correct.

5. chadhite

chadhite Member

What oil filters are you using?

6. Big Country

Big Country New Member

Chad,

I have been using the Fram PH 4967 and the Walmart ST 4967 on Suzukis and Diahatsus. Actually, I have started using the "ST" exclusively due to the better rating.

7. Colin

Colin Member

I use the same filter for my Sambar as a late model Forester (or Legacy, Impreza, etc.) with the 2.5L SOHC (EJ25) engine. It's a Wix 51334.

The installation of this filter requires the removal of the bracing strap under the engine, unless you have some slender fingers and awesome dexterity.

Colin

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  8. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Same filters for Mitsubishi mini? (Did not see them on the above so thought to ask...)TIA

9. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

good thread, great info!
    -mark

10. nick

nick Member

filter info heads up

Guys,
    After some extensive research on the Wix website tonight, which is a great resource, (lists thread size and pitch, gasket or o ring diameter etc,)the filter numbers you referenced PH4967, Napa 1360 etc are not metric thread but SAE 3/4 thread. Sure they will spin on but not the right thread for proper seating.

I was fortunate enough to get a 1994 Mits with an original Mits part number on the filter, MD134953 which crosses to a Wix 51365 which has a 20mm x 1.5 mm pitch.

For the Suzuki I'm finding that the Wix 51344 has a 20mm thread with a 1.5mm pitch and a 62 mm or 2.44" OD o-ring. Seems to be the proper fit.

After doing grey market Yanmar tractors for several years I learned to be very careful on filter cross info that gets posted. I had a customer doing the very same thing (putting an SAE thread filter on a metric thread base) and had a filter get cross threaded or improperly threaded, come loose during operation not known by the operator and pumped the engine dry destroying it.

NOT trying to discredit any of you guys, I've gotten some awesome info and resources here, just trying to save anyone from an engine meltdown due to the wrong filter, especially since they are underneath and out of site during operation.

Have a great weekend, Hot and humid here in WI, not what it's supposed to be for bow hunting!

Nick

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  11. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Wow, great info. Nick. Is there a NAPA crossover? Perhaps a 1365? Guess I will check...
    Thanks for dropping this info. in for the rest of us. (I have a '93 Mitsu).

12. nick

nick Member

I've not used Napa filters in the past, but have heard you just drop the first number in a Wix part number to get the Napa number. Can't confirm that one. Used Wix for 22 years farming and never had an oil filter fail so I stick with what works for me. Not trying to sound like a commercial here! :)

13. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Wix makes the majority of the NAPA stuff anyway so a change in label and paint is no big deal. I found the 1365 is the correct cross over.
    What is interesting is that I have a new MZ 690073 oil filter which won't cross over in the WIX or NAPA lookup.
    Also, anyone have a cross over for MR 571470 air filter (panel type) or MB 678415 fuel filter? I can't seem to find any reference that includes any of these! Hmmmm.

14. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

More cross reference. The Baldwin filters have a good name as a quality U.S. made filter.
    The B1400 is the cross over for the standard short filter (length 2 5/8" - M20 X 1.5mm threaded).
    B1402 will work on some trucks although a bit longer at 3.5" and finally the B1431 is the longest at 4" long.
    These are direct cross overs for several of the Mitsubishi filters as listed on their web site. Still no mention of air or fuel filter cross overs.

15. toyhog

toyhog Member

thanks for the research. That is a big help.

16. MightyHamster

MightyHamster New Member

I have a Mitsubishi and a Subaru in the garage now. Fram PH6607 oil filter works on both and NGK BKR6E-11 plugs work on both (exact replacement). Advanced Auto didn't stock the plugs, but O'Reilley Auto Parts had them in stock. That oil filter is common, and will cross to any brand. Threads are 20mmX1.5mm.

17. Colin

Colin Member

Please don't use Fram oil filters.

Fram PH6607 interchanges to Wix 51365.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  18. I change the oil on all of our trucks when they come in and replace all the japanese filters with FRAM filters and have never had a problem. I use the FRAM 6607s because they have relief valves, which in the even the truck has an exceptional amount of crud in the oil and plugs the filter it will bypass and allow oil to flow freely to the engine.

19. Colin

Colin Member

Yeah, and sometimes it will bypass without a clogged filter! Amazing! :frustration:

[​IMG]

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

I'll stick with Wix - they aren't perfect, but their quality is leaps and bounds ahead of Fram.

Colin

20. Element area is a pointless number because quality of papers are different, you don't need as much area if you have a more efficient filter, meaning the filter with fewer Sqin is a more efficient filter. The tapping plate (backplate) has little to do with restriction as most filter restriction occurs inside the filter, tapping plates usually only equate to about .5psi of difference.

21. Colin

Colin Member

It's not necessarily more efficient - it's just got bigger holes in it. I bet a piece of mosquito net would flow more oil per sq/in than any oil filter on the market - does that make it a better filter?

Suit yourself. I'll continue to use quality products.

Colin

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  22. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Thats why I gave up Fram long ago. In every oil filter evaluation I have ever found (web or paper publication) the Fram is given low marks as are several other brands. The Baldwin always rates very high. Don't believe it? Just Google oil filter reviews!

23. porky

porky New Member

I just changed the oil and used a napa 1358 napa gold filter.Now I am worried if they new what they were talking about,felt like it screwed on right and fit snug.Porky

24. Dan

Dan Member

mitsu 550 engine has two options listed in the service manual. MD017440 or MD652003. I have been using the napagold 1365 made by WIX

25. myhijet

myhijet Member

I just changed the oil in my 97 hijet today. I put a thread gauge on the on the filter stud just for fun, and showed 16 threads. I put a JD AM107423 on which will cross to a 1394 Napa filter. I put in Schaeffers 0w40 full synthetic oil. I flooded it a couple of times before I changed the plugs when it was cold out and the oil smelled like gas. All better now. I have done some number checking and the 3/4x16 filter thread is very common for what is used on the farm here.

26. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

Frenchie likes this.
  27. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

service manual

Hi everyone...i hope someone out there can help me out.
    i have bought a 1992 mitsubishi minicab U42T and i would like to get a service manual for this truck. i was trying to chain the spark plugs but the socket will not fit down the hole, does the valve cover have to come off and if so are seals "O" rings or gaskets?

28. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

you shouldn't have to remove the valve cover. you can get a thin walled socket, or see if there is still the tool kit in the truck, it usually has a socket that fits in there.

29. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

thanks for the help with the oil filter...does anyone know where i can get a service manual?

30. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

OK cool but i can see down the hole and there is a dent in the tube that is stopping the socket from reaching the plug...any idea's