1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spark plug wiring ?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Griz, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Griz

Griz Member

Took all the spark plugs wires off to have the head worked on. week later don't remember where they should go. 94 Mitsubishi U42T with 3G83 engine. Sure wished I had marked them or taken a picture, can anyone help?

2. renchjeep

renchjeep Member

First, remove your spark plugs. Disable the fuel pump. Ground the coil wire. Crank engine over (using the starter) with your finger in #1 spark plug hole. When it gets to the compression stroke, you will feel the compression push your finger out. It may take a few tries to get the feel right, but you shoud be able to stop the engine close to the top of the compression stroke. Now look at your timing marks, and turn the engine over by hand until the mark lines up with "T". Pull your dist cap, and the rotor will point to number one tower on the dist cap. That is where number one spark plug wire goes. Firing order is 1-3-2, at least on my 3G81. Yours should be the same. I'm not sure which way the dist rotor rotates, can't find it in my service manual, and I'm not near my truck, but you will be able to check that by watching which way it goes when you crank the engine. If your distributor was taken out of the head, hopefully it was marked to reference dist to head, and rotor to dist, and put back in the same position. You will need to check your timing once it is running. Hope this helps, and good luck.

renchjeep

3. dieseldogsdad

dieseldogsdad Member

On my 98' 3g83 if you look at the dist. cap about the 1 Oclock position is the front cyl. Working clockwise is the middle cyl. then the back cyl. But my truck isn't running right so I don't know if that is how it should be, but I never took them off the cap when I had my head work done. Hope this helps.

4. dieseldogsdad

dieseldogsdad Member

I guess mine was on there correct, according to the photo from the toro site.

5. dieseldogsdad

dieseldogsdad Member

picture

_8340069.jpg Here is the picture

6. Griz

Griz Member

Thanks guys