1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spark Plug for Sambar??

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Meesho, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Meesho

Meesho Member

What is a spark plug that will work for a 91 Sambar? Thanks!

2. NGK: BKR6E-11 OR BKR5-11 NIPPON DENSO: K20PR-U11 OR K16PR-U11

Br,
    Don

3. RicePaddy

RicePaddy New Member

'91 Sanbar V-KS4 EN07 .65L
    My owners manual says use NGK BKR5E-11; it didnt give the option for a colder plug. The parts store sent me BKR6E-11 which is a colder plug, its not running as well. With the high K's it has the hotter plug is necessary.

The NGK spark plug reference manual gives both applications: BKR6E-11 for the .65L engine new models. The older models had both BKR5E-11, BKR6E-11listed. The Denso web sight http://www.densoproducts.com/resultsSearch.asp crosses the to K20PR-U11 OR K16PR-U11 as Mr. Andrews correctly identified.

I assume the hotter plug the 5E or the 16PR are listed because the older the engine, the less efficient it is; it does not perform combustion as well. IE, worn rings and valves = less compression, more oil blow-by, the carb probably is not working as well; hence, the need for a hotter plug. Im sure there are others who can give a better explanation as to why the hotter plug.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  4. larryb

larryb New Member

spark plug for sambar

I have 96 sambar sc what plug does that take thanks

5. RicePaddy

RicePaddy New Member

Larry
    The '96 SC takes NGK BKR6E-11, Iridium BKR6EIX-11; Denso K20PR-U11, Iridium IK20

See the Japanese NGK Spark Chart pg 68, 69 below. Yours is Heisei 8 year. Its on the H3.9~H11.2 Supercharger line.

Attached Files:

6. larryb

larryb New Member

spark plug for sambar

thanks ricepaddy for imfo.

7. RicePaddy

RicePaddy New Member

No problem, just glad I could be a help

8. Meesho

Meesho Member

Just pulled some plugs from a 91 Sambar Supercharged 4cyl. Plug was a ZFR6G, Need to find a cross reference! I wonder if this is even an original plug!

9. RicePaddy

RicePaddy New Member

The correct plug for a 91 Sanbar Supercharger is NGK BKR6E-11
    If you want the Irridium plug its BKR6EIX-11

That’s according to the Japanese NGK Sparkplug book.

Z means extended gap
    F means 19mm reach and 16mm hex
    R means resister type
    6 means heat index 2 being hot and 11 cold
    G means Fine wire nickel alloy center electrode

You can find that info at http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/partnumberkey.pdf

The correct plug is the BKR6E-11 see the thumbnail in the 12-24-2009 post above

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  10. udidwht

udidwht Member

How about the 1990 Sambar Try XS Supercharge plug?

NGK BKR6E-11 or NGK BR5E-11?

Seems the NGK BKR5E-11 is now superseded by NGK 6953

11. Drain

Drain Supporting Moderator Supporting Moderator Supporting Member

Uh, the last reply to this thread was over 12 years ago. It's good that you're searching the forums first, just try to mindful about digging up ancient threads. But maybe we'll get an answer though.

redpanda05 and rkrenicki like this.
  12. udidwht

udidwht Member

Did a full tune up on it...Plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Likely the original stuff. Broke the nearside distributor cap hold down bolt. Wasn't happy with that. But once I placed the new rotor and cap on and ensured the O-ring was in place it fits nice and flat. I went ahead and used a hi-temp zip tie around the rear cap hold down ear then went around terminals 3 & 4 to ensure it does not move away from base.. Worked very well. The other screw I replaced and installed with a dab of copper seize. Here are pics of the plugs, cap and rotor (crazy it was even running) they're likely 33 years old with 52,055 kilometers on them. The cap had (2) of it's towers completely gone (cylinders 1 & 2).

20230512_001443[1].jpg 20230512_001749[1].jpg Distributor cap.PNG

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  13. OhDeer

OhDeer Active Member Supporting Member

I bought the BKR5E-11 like 3 weeks ago. I just typed it into rock auto and added to cart. Maybe they have discontinued them, but you can still get existing stock, at least for now.

14. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

BKR5E-11 and 6953 are the same thing. One is a part number, and the other is a "Part name". Every NGK spark plug has a 4 digit code as well as the alphanumeric part name. Not sure why they do it that way, but it seems to make sense to them.

15. OhDeer

OhDeer Active Member Supporting Member

16. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Right, but I am not sure why they also have a 4 digit code for the same product though.