1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snorkel time!

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by dale hynes, Sep 25, 2019.

1. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

Snorkel for the truck.
    Here are several pictures of the simple but very effective snorkel I made out of 2 inch PVC tubing, and a short adapter from ABS which reduces the size from two inches to one and a half inches to fit the rubber coupling hose to the carb inlet. My truck is lifted with 26 inch tires on it and a sealed ignition system and vent hoses into the snorkel. As it sits I have forded 30 inch deep water with the only down side being a wet butt.

Attached Files:

punimog likes this.
  2. Simmsie

Simmsie New Member

Great idea, looks good! What kind of tires do you have on that and are they DOT approved?

3. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

That looks like great fun - don't forget to raise your diff and tranny vents as well, as water in there can cause some expensive damage

Cheers

4. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

The tires are off road only quad tires. There is a brand name tire which has a very agressive off road tread but is street legal. They fit 14 inch rims and come in 10 or 9 inch widths. I cant remember their name, but I just asked the local Polaris dealer and they had them in stock. $350 each plus the cost of the wheels and that was in Canadian $$. Probable under $200 US$$.

5. Adam Wheeler

Adam Wheeler Active Member

Tusk Terrabites?

6. DIYguy

DIYguy New Member

Check out Kenda Mastadon. 8 ply, dot rated, excellent reviews. For off road applications, i would not recommend 14” rims. Generally speaking, if you want yo have good performance, ride, ability to air-down for traction and ride, the rim should be no more than half the tire diameter. So unless ur running 28”+ tires ... i paid around $150 canadian with free shipping.

14” rims are fine for on-road applications. IMHO.