1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smokin' sambar

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar References' started by grunt66, May 7, 2011.

1. grunt66

grunt66 New Member

Howdy, i recently picked up a 1997 sambar and i've noticed that it is smokin' like a diesel out of the exhaust, mostly for the first five minutes or so and then it isn't too bad but still smoking. The ''gentleman'' i got it from swears it never did that before but i'm beginning to doubt him. Other than the smoking it runs pretty nice. Any help in diagnosis would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Grunt66

2. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Common to have valve stem seal leakage.

Could be many things. Do a compression check to start.

3. grunt66

grunt66 New Member

Howdy, well i wish it was guides but as suggested i did a compression check and found a dead cylinder. Hoping to borrow a bore scope to take a look but i would welcome any suggestions at this point. Found the dead one on the second cylinder from the right so checked another cylinder and got about 90 out of it. Thanks for the info, i'll take what i can get to avoid tearing too far into the motor. Can i take the oil pan off without removing the motor to replace rings if needed?? Again, thank you in advance. Dennis

4. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

I think 90 is fairly low. I dont work on Subies much. Yes, the oil pan will come off still in the truck.

5. grunt66

grunt66 New Member

Howdy, problem found, valve with a chunk burned out of it. Ordered a newly refurbished head and should have it in within the next week or so and i'll let you know how it comes out. Thank you for your help with this one, i think we have it down pat now. Dennis/grunt66