1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siezed caliper slide pin

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Des, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Des

Des New Member

Hi All,

I've just encountered this and couldn't find any info here on the site but this is how I overcame my issue.

On my truck DD51T it was the 'blind' pin that was stuck causing the truck to pull to one side under braking.

This was on the right side.

I removed the lower standard slide pin and tried rotating the caliper up, as you would normally do for a quick pad change. It was stuck fast. I could get it to rotate up using a lever but this was just unscrewing the stuck bolt from the caliper bracket.

The solution was to gently heat the caliper (where the pin slides inside) with a plumbers torch. I took my time and made sure not to heat the brake lines or rubber boots and to heat it evenly slowly raising the temperature. Then using a long pin punch against the caliper (just to the left of teh slide hole) and a club hammer started knocking the pin out a few mm at a time until it needed re-heating. I had the caliper lifted up so it would clear the disc.

Once it was apart and all cooled down, I polished the pin (which wasn't in bad condition at all) with some release oil and scotchbrite. Then cleaned the blind hole with plenty of brake cleaner and a phosphor bronze gun bore brush. Flushed it out well with more brake cleaner and checked for a nice sliding fit.

Then it was just a case of lubricating the hole for the pin with silicone grease, lubing the standard pin and re-assembling with new pads.

Certainly a saving of $200 odd plus shipping and taxes to England.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Des, the Carry was sold under a bunch of different names in Britain and the EU. You might be able to get parts less expensively if you can cross match to one of those

The Piaggio Porter is a Daihatsu Hijet built in Italy. The KYB struts for the Piaggio have the same part number as the ones on my Hijet. Buying them off eBay from England, they were less than half of what they want from Japan. The bed latches, tailgate chains, and clutch all have the same difference in cost.

Wikipedia has a list of all the names the Carry was sold under. It has been a Ford, Chevy, Bedford, Bedford/GME/Vauxhall, Rascal,
    Holden Scurry,, Maruti Omni, Maruti Versa, Mazda/Autozam Scrum, and about twenty other things.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Mine started life in Japan as a 2002 Mazda Scrum, is now registered in the Philippines as a 2014 Suzuki Carry. The vin is DG62V370228 and that is how it is registered but in order to find parts I have to change to DA62V370228 as changing the A to G is the only thing Suzuki did to indicate that it was built by Suzuki and badged as a Mazda.

Fred