1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Manual

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Knoxville, Sep 9, 2007.

1. LAZ 1

LAZ 1 New Member

Does anyone know if the printed manual that minitruck.ca has covers the 89 model year? I emailed him the question but never heard back...

I just picked up the printed service manual from Todd, at minitruck.ca.
    The manual is 9156-8E, not G156 as posted earlier.

This manual covers the S80 [2wd ] and S81 [4wd] models, and the engine section makes reference to an EB-90 engine, bore/stroke of 62 mm X 60.5 mm with a displacemnt of 547 cc.

There is the usual fantastic amount of detail you would expect from a japanese service manual, and much of the information on chassis specifications, maintenance will not change much from year to year.

What I found especially useful is the maintenance section, with schedule and details. Since I did NOT get an owners manual with my truck, I was very interested in these bits of information.

2. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I just received a CD entitled 1991 Hijet Service Manual, Publication No. 9156-SE. It is in English and contains over 700 pages. As I understand it, this is the best manual now available for my model, S83P. I ordered it from Bill White Kia, I talked to Karl, as suggested, and he confirmed that they had a copy in stock. If they had had to get one from Japan, it would have taken several weeks. Bill White Kia shipped the CD manual promptly and it was very well boxed and packaged. I don't know if I can understand it well enough to help me solve my electrical problems, but I am glad to have it, in part, because mechanics are reluctant to work on an unfamiliar vehicle without a manual and wiring diagrams.

Sam

3. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I have spent some time looking over this service manual on CD. It is over 700 pages and very detailed. I think you can find most of the information you need to work on a Hijet. There is no list of parts numbers, however. This is the manual for a 550 cc engine, not for my Hijet, which is a model S83P, so there are differences which must be taken into account. I am now mainly interested in wiring information since my fuel and temp gauges and warning lights do not work. I note that the two gauges share a single ground, so perhaps that is the common problem I have suspected. Now I have to find it and check it.

The manual contains detailed information about the speed limiter connected to the speedometer and the lift assembly, neither applicable to my truck. I take it that the models described in this manual were manufactured for the American market and therefore had integral speed limiters. My truck was made for Japan and so mechanical limiters were welded on later. These had already been removed by the time I got my truck this year.

One nice thing about this manual is that it has an excellent print feature that easily lets you print particular pages.

Until a manual in English for later models shows up, this manual seems to be the one to get.

Sam

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

Sam,

i know you have been chasing electrical gremlins for some time now, and i know my truck is a couple years newer, but, i was inside my dash yesterday and noticed i had another fuse box that i hadn't seen before. i have one in the engine compartment, and one wayyy up under the dash. hard to see and even harder to get fuses in and out. again, i don't know how similar our trucks are besides both being HIJET but i seem to recall a fuse just for the instruments or something under there, i mostly focused on finding the one for the radio and cigarette lighter that i popped.

5. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

LawnGasCaulk,

This is very interesting. I believe that there is a single cause for my electrical problems--a bad ground, bad fuse, broken or disconnected wire, voltage regulator. All of the things not working involve sensors and are located in the same area of the instrument panel. Can you provide more information or perhaps photos of these extra fuses? I have one fuse panel connected to a wiring harness. It is to the left of the steering wheel under the dash. There are six fuses and two more empty slots. I am reasonably confident that all of these fuses are good. All my lights work, as well as horn, wipers, heater fan, and a several indicator lights on the instrument panel.

Thanks,

Sam

6. Mighty Milt

tht's the one i was talking about, sam. i hadn't been up under there before and had only seen the fuse box in the engine compartment under the driver's seat. a bad gound could be one cause of it, and another might be a burnt console. those are typically made out of bake plate? i think that's what it's called, circuit board maybe? the dash panel that is. i have seen them with a crack down the middle or a burn in the cuircuit stuff running along it that renders one side of the dash useless. some times you can solder that with a jumper and get it back in order... just a thought.

7. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

LGC,

I have not seen the fuse box under the driver's seat. Can you tell me where it is or is it obvious? I have a photo of my fuse panel in my picture gallery on this site. My truck is 1993, so there may be differences.

Thanks,

Sam

8. Mighty Milt

sam,

on my truck when i lift up the right side seat/engine cover there is a black box under there next to the tire jack. i haven't opened it up the box, but it's got a schematic on the outside of it that leads me to believe it's fuses and relays of some sort, again, i wasn't paying much attention. i'd say it's probably 3 or 4 inches wide, 6 or 8 inches long and a couple inches thick.. but my truck is a 99 so it may be different.

9. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Thanks, I will look when I get back out to the country. My jack is under the passenger seat.

Sam