1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S83P EF engine torque specs

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Squeaks-leaks, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

I just picked up a hijet that is content on blowing a blue smoke screen. I am planning on tearing it down and doing a rebuild. Does anybody know where I can find the specs this motor needs to be torqued to?

I will definitely need to find the specs on the connecting rods and the cylinder head at the very least.

Thanks

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The heads of the bolts have grade numbers on them, i.e. 3.6, 8.8, 10.9, which tells you the strength of the bolt.

Google "metric torque table", and look at images. You will find a bunch of tables that have the bolt size, grade, and proper torque for that combination. This is the way my factory service manuals for my old Toyota trucks said to do determine the correct torque.

Always clean and lube the threads, or torque readings are meaningless. If you can find one the old beam type torque wrenches, they are more useful than the new click type wrenches. Because, if the needle is bouncing around on the old beam style you know the threads are seizing, and then releasing. Which means you need to reclean and lube the threads.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  3. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

Here are the numbers that I got from G&R imports

Connecting rod bearing cap - 22 ftlbs
    Main bearing cap - 34 ftlbs
    Head bolts - 36 ftlbs

Those are the specs that I put my motor together with and its held together so far.

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

Torque specs can be wet or dry. So unless your manual list a wet torque don't oil the threads