1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S80 Hijet manual 3spd transmission- Is it really a blocked 4spd?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by onlyincali, Sep 8, 2015.

1. onlyincali

onlyincali New Member

I've read on here than many left hand Hijet S80s came with a 3spd transmission. Some people say that this is actually a 4spd transmission that is blocked. Is this true? If so, how can it be unblocked to make it a 4spd?

Thanks!

2. bwpatton

bwpatton New Member

I have a factory left hand drive US spec S80 that came equipped with a 4 speed but the throttle is governed at 25. 4th gear is pretty unusable until I remove that governor

3. onlyincali

onlyincali New Member

Yeah, I've got a couple 4spd ones. This one is 3spd. I cant imagine they would make a whole different transmission though. I can only assume its blocked out of 4th somehow.

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

There is a picture on a recent thread that shows the 4th gear side of the 3/4 slider does not have the gear teeth cut so it cannot slide into mesh for 4th gear. All the rest of that picture looked right for a 4 spd transmission except for the uncut gear teeth. The thread was within the last month asking a dump box question and the 4th gear question.

Fred

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Start reading Guys. All the info. On the left hand drives trans. And speed limiters is on this web site for the s80's.

6. onlyincali

onlyincali New Member

I did read, a lot. NOWHERE did I find info on the 3spd transmission actually being a 4spd. Maybe I'm not good at searching, but it seems like people love to say "did you even search!?!?!?!" instead of just answering the simple question.

SO..... I'll make a post in attempt at actually helping others...

My transmission was indeed a 4spd transmission that was simply blocked by a plate on the shifter. Removed the plate and gained access to another gear. That simple.

Sam27 and Roy like this.
  7. ttc

ttc Active Member

Nice did you take any pics??

8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

My bad. The point I was trying to bring to you that by reading everything and I mean everything (unless it was deleted somehow) you can see for yourself how many areas there are. Not only the speed limiter part that's tied into speedo cable, the clip inside trans. to keep you from shifting into 4th gear,
    to the switch under dash that has two modes(12 mph or 25 mph).
    I posted most of this info. 6 / 7 yrs. ago.

9. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

how about a 4 sp turned to a 5 sp? Is that possible?
    so there are more than one speed limiter of some kind on these vehicles? sounds like 3,or 4.

10. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The LHD versions imported as maintenance vehicles, had the transfer case locked into low range, by a CirClip installed in a groove cut into the shift shaft for the transfer case, which prevented it from going past neutral so you only had low and neutral. They also had a carburetor with an extra solenoid connected to a black box which got a signal form a speed pickup added where the speedometer cable hooks to the transmission. When you hit 25-mph, it would pulse in and out of the main jet restricting the fuel flow, so you couldn’t go any faster.

JDM vehicles imported before they were 25-years old, would have any number of second vendor devices added to restrict them to 25-mph. The method varied by manufacturer of the device, and engine options. If the transmission was restricted it was typically done with a plate to restrict the shift gates so you couldn’t get to higher gears, and or the transfer case into high range.

Limestone likes this.
  11. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

ok. then here a question. Did the 1992 S82P,4sp tranie have any speed limiters of any kind built into them?

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The JDM version would not have had any kind of limiting.

But, depending on who was importing it and if it was EPA/DOT exempt at time of import, the importer could have done a number of different things to “permanently” restrict it to not exceed 25-mph.

Does your truck have a complete VIN, or just the S82P, followed by six numbers? If has a VIN starting with J2, then it was built for import to the US or Canada, and will have some form of limiter from the factory, typically what I described earlier.

If it doesn’t have a full VIN, it is most probably a JDM vehicle, and would have been modified by the importer/exporter. They did all kinds of things. You will have to start at the shifter in the cab, and work your way back to the transmission to figure it out.

Out of curiosity, where is revers in the shift pattern?

If you have more information on your truck please add it to your signature. It is hard guessing at what you have.

13. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

the Vin # S82P-094320. Now that's the chassis # as well. the reverse is right and back. and I don't see a governor box under the dash. I also don't see a second silanoid on the carburetor.
    Here's what the plate under the drivers seat has on it.
    V-S82P-TRK
    S82P-094320
    EF-CS. 659cc
    033. LKT2

14. Sam27

Sam27 New Member

20230723_154644~2.jpg bottom
    20230723_154644~2.jpg bottom view

15. Sam27

Sam27 New Member