1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S210P/S211P Speed Limiter Removal

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jeffsimon, Feb 11, 2020.

1. jeffsimon

jeffsimon New Member

Has anyone removed the speed limiter in a later model fuel injected HiJet? I have 2008 coming that will arrive with the speed limiter. There's a shop that will remove it for around $250. Just wondering if anyone knows what is involved. I tried searching but only came up with information on older carb models. Thanks!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

No specific information. My guess would be that it is some kind of connection from the speed sensor to the engine management unit. I think the stock emu, has a built in rev limiter.

If I wanted to limit the speed on one, I’d utilize that existing circuit and send it a signal from the speed sensor to think the engine was over revving.

3. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Being that it’s a 2008, and provided that it’s a manual transmission, it’s likely to have a steel “cage” welded over the floor shifter. Think of the cage as a small metal box, with a few stitch welds holding the cage to the transmission tunnel. The top plate is cut out in a “z” pattern and only allows the truck to operate in first gear and reverse. The other gears are there, you just can’t physically get the shifter to those positions. This cage is small enough to fit below the factory console and shifter boot so you won’t even notice it. Have access to a small pneumatic die grinder or a battery powered one?

The fuel injected models with automatic transmissions have to speed limit the electronic way. I’ve seen this done through the PCM and through the OBD II port. I always figured this might happen with the later model manual tranny’s if its cheaper or quicker than welding the metal speed limiting cages in.

To be classed as a “nonroad“ engine by EPA standards, the truck must be limited to 25mph or less. I can tell you 1st gear and reverse get no where near 25mph!

I don’t stop by here much anymore. Been messing with these little trucks for over 10 years now but with the 25 year EPA exempt trucks absolutely flooding the market, it just changed things - shady dealers, bad information, etc.

EFI became a kei standard in 1999 so we’re only 4 years away from (hopefully) being able to import EFI trucks with no real restrictions. That’s always liable to change though.

Welcome to the club! Post pics when you get them!

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Can confirm that at least the early EFI manual transmission models just had the shifter welded.

(P.S., hey Jamie! Good to see you checking in!)

5. jeffsimon

jeffsimon New Member

Thanks for the replies. According to the dealer I'm buying from, the limiter is all done electronically on these newer ones. There is a shop near the dealer that will remove/disable the limiter for $250. I would like to save myself some cash if it isn't too difficult to do myself. He said a customer in Indiana disabled it himself to it can't be that hard. According to the dealer in his words:

"It's a black box behind the dash. The input wire is coming from the speedometer telling it how fast you are going. The box is grounded I believe, the output wire connects into the wiring that goes back to the fuel pump. When the box reads a speed of 26mph or faster, it cuts the power to the fuel pump."

I'm wondering if I just cut the wire going from the speedo to the black box if that will do the trick. Theoretically, the black box would think I'm going 0 mph if it's getting no signal from the speedo. But, I could be way off on that theory. I'll have to see what it looks like and trace the wires. I'll post some pics of the truck when I pick it up. Should be in a couple weeks.

Allen hale likes this.
  6. jeffsimon

jeffsimon New Member

It is a 5 speed manual Hi/Low range 4X4 with differential lock. It's the HiJet Farming Ext package. I'm looking forward to getting it!

7. Acerguy

Awesome. That sounds like my truck exactly and it has been great. Welcome to the forum!

8. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey Keith, good to hear from you! This forum is definitely lucky to have a guy like you checking on things!

jeffsimon, I wouldn't pay the $250. I wouldn't pay anything actually as I believe you can handle this yourself. I'd bet it's a very basic device and can be removed just as easy as it was installed.

These were found on automatic transmissions obviously, but with manual trans trucks, I'd only really seen those on brand new units. The truck you're waiting on is 12 years old now so the fact that this speed limiting device was chosen tells me it quicker, cheaper and easier than welding the metal cage. Interesting. There are only 2 companies in the US that have the different engine family model certifications submitted to the EPA to import the under 25 year old trucks. Those folks utilize "outfitters" in Japan to make the necessary modifications. My EFI truck only had two changes, speed limiter (shifter cage) and all the rubber fuel line had been changed to newer fuel line with some "low permeation" markings on the line itself. This was only 3-4 short sections of rubber line, everything else was metal line. I believe on the carb trucks under 25 years, the cats are supposed to be changed out on them as well.

You mentioned "farming package", I'm guessing your truck is coming from US Mini Truck Sales? Sounds like you have a very nice truck headed your way and will serve you well!

Allen hale likes this.
  9. jeffsimon

jeffsimon New Member

Yep, I'm getting it from US Mini Truck Sales.

10. jeffsimon

jeffsimon New Member

Well, received my truck and found the speed limiter in the dash. I also found this wiring diagram for it online today. It appears that I can just jumper between the red and blue wires and I should be all set. Maybe this will help others with the same speed limiter. I'll update whether or not it works.

upload_2020-2-24_9-43-58.png

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

Looking at that schematic, I’d look for where they tied into the fuel pump control relay line, reconnect the line there, and pull the whole thing out.

It is working by cutting the fuel pump on and off. And depending on how they installed it the safety features you normally have with an electric fuel pump, such as the inertial and roll over cutoff switch may have been bypassed during the install.

12. jeffsimon

jeffsimon New Member

Yeah, I was going to do that but didn't want to tear my dash apart to chase the wires. I just unplugged the box and removed it, cut the red and green wires at the connector for the box, and soldered them together. Power was only going to the speed limiter when the ignition key was turned so that will still be the case for the fuel pump. There was also a fuse on the hot (red) wire so that's good. It fired right up after doing that but I haven't driven it yet. I have the truck half tore apart to install a front hitch and rear bumper. I had to detach the truck bed to properly install my rear bumper so I'm going to do a roll on bed liner and undercoat the hole thing while I have it tore apart. I'll post back when I have a chance to get it over 25mph!

13. jeffsimon

jeffsimon New Member

Thought I would post an update. Truck drives great. Got it up to 55mph or so.

Acerguy likes this.
  14. Acerguy

Great! Thanks so much for the followup. That really is valuable information for the forum.

15. Jigs-n-fixtures

Two hints: Make a sticker for teh cover on the speedo with conversion from standard speed limits 15, 25, 45, and 65 with the kph next to them. That way you can learn how to convert kph to mph, pretty fast.

Alternatively install a GPS, heads up speedometer. VJOYCAR C60 Hud Car GPS Speedometer, Digital Head Up Display Windshiled Projector MPH KM/H Over Speeding Alarm, 100% Universal for All Vehicle Car Bus Truck Bike Scooter ATV UTV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFGYH1W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9I1LEbNHVGZFD
    Best thirty bucks I spent on my truck.

16. deshet

deshet Member

I really need a speed limiter like the one that you removed. Can you sell it to me?

I sent you a PM

Thanks

17. Bob Morris

Bob Morris New Member

I just received my truck and it has the same type speed limiter in the diagram above.

I was instructed to cut the yellow wire in order to bypass the unit.

Worked like a charm. No splicing or tracing wires.

Attached Files:

18. Trevor Brown

Trevor Brown New Member

I recieved my truck yesterday with the speed limiter installed. It was the same one you had in your picture. I drove the truck around and when it got up to around 25mph the actual speed limiter had an alarm on it that went off when you hit that speed.

I cut the speedometer wire and drove it again without any issues. Thanks for posting the fix to the speed limiter.

shogun and Bob Morris like this.
  19. rip

rip Member

where is this located? under the steering wheel ? I just received mi mini dump truck and I am totally new to this I have worked on cars and truck but all American brands (older ) on my truck (2021) there is a bracket on the floor under the gas peddle that will only allow the peddle to travel so far.

20. Bob Morris

Bob Morris New Member

The speed limiter box is located under the dash, in front of the shifter. It’s very plainly visible on mine, didn’t really have to look for it. Not sure about the bracket under the peddle.

21. rip

rip Member

out standing off to the races it works like a charm thank you all for the help

Allen hale and Bob Morris like this.
  22. Telopez87

Telopez87 New Member

Can you post a picture where it's at... Zoomed out picture first?

23. rip

rip Member

this is where it is on a 2021 daihatsu hijet dump truck.
    look under the dash on the passenger side in front of the shifting stick you will see a yellow wire cut that and you are done.
    I can't seem to up load a photo because it is to large.

24. Bob Morris

Bob Morris New Member

i’m not near my truck, but as stated above it’s located under the dash on the passenger side, right on top of the center hump.

25. shogun

shogun Active Member

upload the picture on a free upload server like https://imgbb.com/ or https://postimages.org/ and post the link here, then we can click on the link and see the large pic

26. RBElectrical

RBElectrical New Member

I received my 2022 Hijet yesterday and was able to remove the speed controller pretty easily.

The box they installed has a GPS plus speed wire. It is wired to a Relay under the driver seat which cuts the fuel pump circuit. I bypassed the relay completely by splicing the 2 wires coming off the wire loom together. You can't just run a switched hot to the Green wire because the pump will run continuously even when the engine is off.

After you splice together the 2 wires coming off the factory wire loom under the seat, you need to unplug the speed sensor behind the dash. It won't cut the power anymore but it will sound the annoying alarm anytime you exceed the speed set. It's behind the speedometer so will have to pull the plastics off and unscrew the speedo cluster to get behind it. It's very easy to do.

With all the troubleshooting and trial testing it took me about 2 hours. If I had to do it again it should only take 5 minutes.

There also appears to be a factory gas pedal limiter bolted onto the truck. I assume this is on all factory trucks?

27. Telopez87

Telopez87 New Member

Can you provide pictures of what you did? Maybe a video?

I have the same truck and trying to do the same thing.

28. RBElectrical

RBElectrical New Member

The forum wont let me upload pictures for some reason.

29. Telopez87

Telopez87 New Member

I sent you a direct message if you wouldn't mind checking it.

30. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Probably a throttle stop so you do not overpull/strain the throttle cable when the carb plate is in full open position. Normally not adjusted unless replacing carb.

Fred