1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S110p Springs?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Kagami, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Kagami

Kagami New Member

I've recently come into a 1997 Hijet, imported into the States. Previous owner blew out the passenger corner - the spring looks more like a soggy noodle than something made of metal.
    I've browsed the forums and it looks like the springs are typically 10 inches? I've been able to find "heavy duty" springs on eBay, but I don't know what the stock capacity on the springs is/was, or how much of a difference it really makes. Are there alternatives to the $300 springs I'm finding? Is a stiffer/heavier spring worth it? & probably a dumb question, but do I need to redo the struts when I swap the springs as well?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Kagami,
    We have been down this road before. There have been several, before asking and doing the same thing. Several of us have gotten new struts off Ebay, out of the UK., and QA1 Springs from Summit Racing! It's gonna depend on your application, for the Springs. The struts were approx. 75 bucks each, out of the UK! Quite a savings, and the springs about 55 bucks, from summit! I used qa1 #12ht175/350 Springs for mine, because I went with a 2 inch lift and I wanted the higher rated capacity for additional plow weight. I suggest that you go to the Summit Racing site, and go to QA1 spring section, and choose the length and weight range your looking for. The Diameter is 2 1/2 inch. That's what you'll need to go over your struts, weather you use new or the old ones! If it was mine I'd replace the struts also! KYB Struts # 633117 (right) and #633118 (left). Do your self a favor and take a minute and go to the thread on your search on this forum, "New Struts? Heavier Springs? or Replace Both?) It is very informative and it will truly help you in making your final decision! Jigs and Fixtures does a great job explaining things there! Good Luck,
    Limestone

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

What you want are 2.5X10-inch springs for coil over shock absorbers. Look at Summit Racing’s site for springs they have a good filter function.

A lot of folks are running 150 or 200-lb/in springs.

I am running 225-475lb/in variable rate springs, but i have fabricated a fairly heavy front bumper, and mount a snow plow for most of the winter. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-10ht225-475

I’d recommend these 140-250-lb/in springs for a stock vehicle: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-10ht140250

The variable rates do a good job of keeping the suspension from bottoming, while still giving you a soft enough ride that you don’t feel like the Truck is trying to knock your kidneys out.

And, like Limestone says, you should look at installing new struts. The numbers he gives may take a bit of modification to mount on the S110s due to the difference in brakes.

Limestone likes this.