Road trip

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by udidwht, Nov 7, 2023.

1. udidwht

udidwht Member

I'll be taking the 1990 Sambar Try XS SC on a road trip from Renton, Wa. to Huntington Beach Ca. this December. I'll keep track of my MPGs but plan on keeping it near the 'peak torque' (~4000rpmish range) 80kmh to yield the best MPGs on the highway.

As for what to do prior...I've already changed the oil Rotella T6 5w-40, full tune-up, valve lash checked, gear oil changed (Amsoil 75w-90), diff oil changed (Amsoil 75w-90), air filter, coolant, T-stat, Radiator cap, coolant hoses under supercharger/TB changed, Knock sensor, all grounds cleaned, TB cleaned, shift bushings (frt/rear), brake bleed, belts, fuel filter, timing belt & tensioner and supercharger oil changed.

The tires (incl spare) are new. Vehicle had 51,7XXX original kilometers when I shipped (May 2023) it over from Japan (1 owner) I'm now at 54,7XX kilometers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Take all the old parts with you as emergency spares. Good luck!

3. udidwht

udidwht Member

Plan on taking my tool box and a couple extra belts. Don't have much beyond that to take. Been driving it daily and figure if (big if) something I replaced would fail it'll be before my departure.

4. Drain

Drain Supporting Moderator Supporting Moderator Supporting Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  5. udidwht

udidwht Member

I will take a couple water temp senders I have one for the gauge and the other for ECU and a couple belts. Nothing beyond that except for my toolbox.

Going to change out the O2 and exhaust-thermo sensors here shortly.