1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road trip

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by udidwht, Nov 7, 2023.

1. udidwht

udidwht Member

I'll be taking the 1990 Sambar Try XS SC on a road trip from Renton, Wa. to Huntington Beach Ca. this December. I'll keep track of my MPGs but plan on keeping it near the 'peak torque' (~4000rpmish range) 80kmh to yield the best MPGs on the highway.

As for what to do prior...I've already changed the oil Rotella T6 5w-40, full tune-up, valve lash checked, gear oil changed (Amsoil 75w-90), diff oil changed (Amsoil 75w-90), air filter, coolant, T-stat, Radiator cap, coolant hoses under supercharger/TB changed, Knock sensor, all grounds cleaned, TB cleaned, shift bushings (frt/rear), brake bleed, belts, fuel filter, timing belt & tensioner and supercharger oil changed.

The tires (incl spare) are new. Vehicle had 51,7XXX original kilometers when I shipped (May 2023) it over from Japan (1 owner) I'm now at 54,7XX kilometers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Take all the old parts with you as emergency spares. Good luck!

3. udidwht

udidwht Member

Plan on taking my tool box and a couple extra belts. Don't have much beyond that to take. Been driving it daily and figure if (big if) something I replaced would fail it'll be before my departure.

4. Drain

Drain Supporting Moderator Supporting Moderator Supporting Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  5. udidwht

udidwht Member

I will take a couple water temp senders I have one for the gauge and the other for ECU and a couple belts. Nothing beyond that except for my toolbox.

Going to change out the O2 and exhaust-thermo sensors here shortly.