1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ring and pinion options

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by justintime_3, Apr 22, 2021.

1. justintime_3

justintime_3 New Member

So I have a 92 mighty mits mini truck 2wd that I swapped a yamaha r6 motor into. I have used a coupler to mate the sprocket to the rear end but the gear ratio in the rear end is very low. Looking to see if anybody has any idea what kind of axle is in these trucks and if its possible to swap out the ring and pinion to get a taller ratio. The truck is not for on road use as Illinois is a pain in the ass. so not worried about highway speeds just something more comfortable to drive around town.

2. Arty

Arty Active Member

Justintime: - I switched to larger 14inch tires on my '92 Mini,and it made a really nice difference. - Lower rpm for the same speed, and better ride.

3. Nathan Marshall

Nathan Marshall New Member

If there is room, maybe you could run a chain drive jack shaft between the engine and your driveshaft to get a better ratio. Probably a lot of fab work but maybe an option if you can't find a suitable diff

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

There might be a few other ratios for the differential, but most of them will have pretty high numeric ratios.

5. werase643

werase643 Member

i'm gunna use a late 70's early 80's corolla rear axle 54.5 brake drum to brake drum... move spring perches and blah blah... but the toyota rear has... probably 12-15 diff ratios.... to choose from

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Unless your planning on changing out the engine and tranny, your going to need to stay somewhere near a 7.00 to 7.50 ratio in the rear. Even higher if you go to larger tires. The little engines don’t make gobs of torque. So, you need to multiply it quite bit to get rolling.