1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHD Insurance in Ontario

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Simmsie, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Simmsie

Simmsie New Member

Has anyone in Ontario found an insurance company that will cover a RHD mini truck for a reasonable premium? I’m running out of options here. Tried calling more than a dozen places today with only 1 place that would cover it for a ridiculous amount.

2. fairmountvewe

fairmountvewe New Member

Have you tried Silver Wheels (or Haggerty, or what ever it is now), or Right Drive (dealer in T.O.)?

Simmsie likes this.
  3. Simmsie

Simmsie New Member

Ya I called Right Hand Drive and they recommend M&W brokers. Their quote was $2,700/yr as an occasionally driven vehicle! I’ve been driving for 24 yrs, perfect record with no claims. Hagerty will only insure trucks if they’re 89 or older. I have a new quote through a different broker with Aviva at $1,100/yr, liability only. I’ll have confirmation on Monday that the price is firm once my broker submits everything...we’ll see how it goes.

4. fairmountvewe

fairmountvewe New Member

Holy Cats!!! $2700/yr is insane. Hagerty's website does mention RHD imported vehicle needing to be more than 25 years old, but that is as deep as I got. I haven't talked to them. I know my broker was (barely) willing to cover a RHD vehicle a couple of years ago, but I haven't spoken to anyone about it in a while, and my Hijet is supposed to be a farm vehicle for the next couple of years so I haven't even pursued insuring it. Kind of a harsh wake-up call if it is going to cost that kind of money to insure it. Sorry I can't be more help, and good luck with the search.

Peter