1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote mounted turbos

Discussion in 'Performance' started by aspera, Oct 26, 2008.

1. aspera

aspera New Member

These little trucks seem to be wide open to modifying. Normally, you'd want a small turbo close the engine on a small displacement vehicle so you wouldn't have turbo lag. That presents packaging problems.

A remote mount turbo system give you much more leeway as far as packaging, but at the cost of lag. But, who cares about lag when you're doing it to increase top speed instead of acceleration? Most remote mount turbo setups get rid of the muffler, so backpressure downstream of the turbine is eliminated. The turbo acts as the muffler.

2. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

3. boosted mitsu

boosted mitsu Gold Supporting Member

interesting. we will actually be developing a trubo system along with a full line of suspension mods, roll bars, brush guards and skid plates in the near future.

i'll post pics up as our work progresses. wont be for another month or so.

4. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

will turbo set-up be for carb type mitsu's?...i have a 92 660cc 12 valve and would like to put a turbo on it. please let me know what you come up with.
    thanks

5. boosted mitsu

i'll let you know. we are currently waiting on word from epa on the new regulations.

6. Rural

Rural Member

Yikes! $8k! That's more than almost all the mini-trucks you'll read about here. I'd pay for a bit more horsepower, just not $8k. Hopefully, Boosted Mitsu's kit will be a little more affordable.

7. boosted mitsu

i'm pretty sure that our kits will not be 8k.... maybe $7999. :) JK
    i am looking into small turbos that are commonly found on other vehicles that may work for our application.
    this way we can sell most of the hardware and potential users can save on cost by looking for used/rebuilt turbos or purchase a new one through us.
    We are trying to make it as cost effective as possible.

8. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

This system is similiar to the work we used to do in the early '90's, but a bit further back in the exhaust. We used to mount them on the very back on the headers..say about just past the bell housing of the transmission, then run oil lines however we could. They were fast for a few days, then boom.

Never did much engine prep, and probably ran most too lean. :)

Intrested in what kind of pump/sump system is going to lube the turbo(s)...?

9. boosted mitsu

dont need a pump or any additional parts for the oil system. these engines are made like most engines. you can get oil pressure from one of the oil galleys.
    yes, you dont want to go too lean. we will only be boosting a few pounds since the engines are so small. when i have time i will be taking aprt one of our motors and build a performance motor.....thats when i have time. :)

10. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Just seems like an awful long ways to plumb oil feed and return lines...but I suppose fuel and brake lines make the same journey huh?

It will be nice to see the finished product!

11. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

simple...put a t at your oil sending unit and dump back into the oil pan...simple:D

12. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Thats how we used to do it..

13. boosted mitsu

we did it that way occasionally but most of the time we used the oil galley since it would be a shorter route.

oil drain was just a matter of mounting the turbo higher than the pan and let gravity do its job. :)

biggest problem on some cars was the space for plumbing since we used intercoolers all the time. no straight shot to the TB like some cars from the early 80's

14. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

if one was to use this turbocharger http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_rhb31_vz21_turbocharger/, you'd see boost before 3000rpm's.
    and thats a very good quality turbo. ive used it sucsessfully on 750cc engines up into the 14k RPM range with very pleasing results. (10psi at 14k is a fun way to drive)
    or you mount a asisin amr500 supercharger on for about the same price, and get more 1000-3500rpm torque, but lose out after that.
    or be like me and do both. >:)

15. DWils

DWils Member

I turbo'd my 1.5L Honda Fit and could not be happier with it. That said, I would be super-wary of going forced induction on a minitruck/microvan because they are so shaky at anything over 65mph/100kph. But, I guess a stiffer suspension, bracing, and fatter tires could help with that problem.

16. Jeremy47

Jeremy47 New Member

adding to the power will not make it go faster (unless it coudnt reach ts top speed anyway)
    it will only aid acceleration.
    :)

17. Kent

Kent New Member

That is correct top speed remains the same getting there is a lot more fun. Also the need to shift down the pull a incline is not needed as much. I have my turbo mounted on the transfer case with about a 16 inch wrapped pipe going back to it .