1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Registration Help Needed In Florida

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Tyni93, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Tyni93

Tyni93 New Member

Hello All,

I’m new to the kei truck world. Just bought a 1993 Honda Acty a week ago. It was legally imported into the US. I have the Customs paperwork and the Japanese paperwork as well. However, I’ve been trying to get information on the process for registering the truck in the state of Florida, but I haven’t been able to find anything official. I’ve made a few calls to my local DMV, but haven’t been able to speak with anyone there. I had to leave voicemails.

Does anyone know where, and or, how to get my vehicle titled and registered in the state of Florida? Thanks in advance.

2. dgame

dgame New Member

Where are you in Florida? Try a local (private) tag/title agency, not the DMV. The local tag agents should know what to do. It will cost you but they will usually jump through the hoops for you. YMMV

Tyni93 likes this.
  3. Tyni93

Tyni93 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m in Palm Beach County. I put in a call to the local dmv once again and they referred me to a specific person who I left a message for them to call me back. I’ll see if it works this time.

The biggest problem down here in South Florida, is that there are a whole lot of scammers down here. They’ll take your money and leave you hanging. That’s why I’m skeptical about dealing with just anyone where this is concerned.

4. dgame

dgame New Member

Yeah, I have had the same 'tag' guy for years and through many vehicles. I understand about the scammers. Glad you are making progress

Tyni93 likes this.
  5. Tyni93

Tyni93 New Member

True. The title guy that I used on occasion, told me that he doesn’t handle these types of title work because the state of Florida makes it difficult for them to get it done. Recently the state revoked dozens of titles and regulations for imported vehicles, claiming that they were fraudulent. It’s crazy down here right now.

6. dgame

dgame New Member

I remember that 400+ JDM Florida Titles revoked scamdal. A few [greedy] people messed it up for everybody. So yeah I have no idea how things are now. Good luck though

Tyni93 likes this.
  7. Tyni93

Tyni93 New Member

Yes, that’s what’s scaring those tag agencies here in Florida at the moment. Several of them had their licenses revoked and people got arrested as well. Florida is a top state for vehicular crimes. If you can think of a crime related to automobiles, it has already been done down here and it’s also a common practice.

The conversation with the local dmv person earlier yesterday was very positive. So, I’m going to keep my fingers crossed for the contact there to get back to me to complete the VIN verification and then, take it from there. Thanks.

8. Tyni93

Tyni93 New Member

Was able to get my Honda Acty mini truck registered and titled today at the local DMV. It wasn’t a simple task at first, but after I got all the documents that they listed on their website. It was a walk in the park at the DMV. I’m excited about it. Now the wife and I will have some fun driving around the neighborhood and runs to the store.

9. Dustin Dunham

Dustin Dunham New Member

Hello! Congrats on getting the truck registered and tagged. Could you please direct me to the website where it lists the proper paperwork needed to register and tag? I’m in Miami so I’m sure it has to be the same if not similar. Thank you.

Tyni93 likes this.
  10. Tyni93

Tyni93 New Member

11. marty182

marty182 New Member

Did they title it as a ‘mini-truck’ (limited to 35 mph roads and under) or is it a regular title and can be driven on any road?

Tyni93 likes this.
  12. Tyni93

Tyni93 New Member

They gave me a regular title and registration, with no restrictions.

13. Smackhappy

Smackhappy New Member

Hi Tyni,

I have a kei truck arriving into Jax in the next couple weeks and live in Miami-Dade.

You mentioned that you needed to bring the truck to the DMV for inspection.

Did you trailer it there? or were you able to temp tags to ride it? If temp tags, how did you get them?

Thanks!
    Chris from miami.