1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver hitch for Subaru

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by YJK, Jun 26, 2008.

1. YJK

YJK Guest

I'm looking for a bolt on receiver hitch for a Subaru Sanbar.

If you have one or know where to get one, let me know.

thanks,
    YJK

2. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

My 1993 Hijet came with a Reese hitch.

Sam

3. Hossman

Hossman New Member

Reese Hitch?

Samuari9 ... can you post a picture of that hitch. I am considering a 94 hi-jet, and with all the bumper problems I have read about on this forum I was concerned about being able to pull a small trailer. Didn't even think about something like this.

4. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Look at my section in Member Galleries, the next to last photo. I will take a close-up later today when I go out to the country. I do not keep the truck at my house. The hitch receiver is a standard Reese model, bolted to the frame. It was on the truck when I bought it. I think it is a Reese Insta-Hitch II, model 6043 (or 06043). Class II, 3500 capacity, tongue weight 300 pounds, 1.25 inches receiver. I have seen them for as low as $100. I have no idea whether it would fit on your truck.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/search?q=6043

Sam

5. YJK

YJK Guest

Hitch

Will a bolt on type work on a rear engine subaru. Is it one I can get local or will I need to order.

YJK

6. shreddog

shreddog Member

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

I am curious about this one too. I wonder if you can still open the engine cover back there. Would love to see pics.

8. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

One thing to keep in mind:
    On a 1991 S/C Sambar [not sure if the N/A is the same] the left frame rail is used as a air duct that runs all the way to the front to pick up clean/ cool air from behind the front grill. If a bumper was poorly thought out I could see how this might get fubared in the process. My own idea for a bumper was for a lower attachment point with a hinge on one side to allow for it to be swung out of the way for engine access.

9. swampfox

swampfox Member

Subaru hitch

I've also tried to think of a hitch design for my '91 Sambar. One could change the engine hood hinges to swing up instead of down. Then a receiver hitch could be fabricated between the heavy-duty tie down points. Or, a light-duty flat (rectangular) receiver hitch could be mounted between the top of the swing-down hood and the bed of the truck. I have one of these (somewhere). The receiver is about 2" x about 1/2" or so with a drawbar to match. Can't recall exactly what it was called, but it was made by Reese, Hidden-Hitch, Valley, or one of the familiar brands. Anyway, you don't need to be hauling much weight back there.

10. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Receiver Hitch

On a lighter note....thank you far spelling Receiver correctly on the entire thread::)

11. alberry05

alberry05 Member

I'd love to find a bolt-on hitch for my '90 HiJet, but one preferably with a 2" receiver, that way you can just take it outta the full size truck and slap it in the mini-truck. Completely universal then.

12. Colin

Colin Member

Receiver hitches are readily available for mid-engine trucks. This is a Subaru thread. ;)

13. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Colin,
    Have you seen a hitch for a Subaru? The site mentioned above shows one for a Subaru, $225.00. I'd like to have one if I was sure it would fit, but really don't see how.
    Tmikewww
    (tom)

14. Colin

Colin Member

Haven't seen one.

I have the box off my Sambar right now (yeah, I'm still poking away at that engine swap :D) - I was checking out the back end of the frame today and it seems like it would be pretty straightforward to make a receiver hitch. I'd mount it to both sides of the frame at the top, where the box bolts on. Then, I'd run some bracing down to the four bolt holes (two per side) where that tubular cross member mounts.

Colin

15. shreddog

shreddog Member

got some word on rear hitches for our sambars.
    $225.

here is what he says
    "Please note:
    Mounting a hitch on the rear of the Subaru does require the removal or the inspection/service panel at the rear of the engine, Some have just drilled the hinge pins out of the rear gate and replace with a removable pin, others have a wider inspection plate and require it's removal. There will not be clearance to swing the inspection panel down "

i am going to try and attach the instructions he sent along in case anyone wants to see what it looks like.
    hope it works.

not sure what a guy could do to try and keep engine door on w plates and all after hitch is installed.

Attached Files:

16. Kentruck

Kentruck New Member