1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

real time 4x4 in the bush

Discussion in 'Honda Acty References' started by stanislas40, Sep 4, 2009.

1. stanislas40

stanislas40 New Member

I am looking at buying a Honda Acty with real time 4x4.I am going to be doing some hunting with it.I 'm wondering how these are for fourwheeling.I plan on putting on bigger tires.Has anyone spent much time with one realtime in the bush.Also can a guy only do a body lift since these are rear engine?

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Let me ask. Why Honda? Have you considered the other makes. You might be more satisfied with the Daihatsu/Suzuki/Mits. In my book I leave the Hondas and Subaru's, though perfectly fine for offroad, to more of an on road application.

3. starpuss

starpuss Member

i tryed them all and i like the hijet the best.

4. stanislas40

stanislas40 New Member

honda

The only reason I am looking at a Honda is that it is the only decent truck I have found with a 5 speed.I will be doing quite a bit of highway driving also to get where i hunt and to get to my camp and I found the 4 speeds to scream too much at highway speeds.The local guy has 3 or four Hijets but are all 4 speed.Ideally I think I would like to find a truck with 5 speed hi,low 4 and 2 hi.I cant seem to find one anywhere in ontario for a good price.I hear the Honda is good in the bush becuase of the rear engine I am just leary about this real time.I have experienced all wheel drive and is defenetily not what I want.

5. rst277

rst277 Member

5 spd

I just purchased a Hijet with a 5spd and it can do 100-105kmph but I wouldn't want to drive a real long distance. The back is definitely light and for the winter I'm going to put two 2'x3' concrete sidewalk pads in the back strapped down. I used 4 of these pads in my F150 which was also useless in the snow with no rear weight, 4x4 or not. Where are you in Ontario? ddimports in Sask has some very nice machines and they did good quality work on my Hijet and the other trucks they have in stock. The Subaru Sambar is also a rear engine layout so maybe that would be a fit for you. Good luck and don't buy a piece o poop just because it's close.

6. Windmill

Windmill Member

I have a Honda. The hijets are easier to lift. If I were to do it over again I would buy a Subaru. They have the 2 wheel 4 wheel switch. I like my Honda but som road I wish I could sometimes on the put it in 2 wheel drive.

7. stanislas40

stanislas40 New Member

I am in Sault ste Marie.I see there is a dealer in Fort Frances,I emailed him with no reply.How much are trucks going for your way.Here the guy is selling them for 5500 to 6500.

8. rst277

rst277 Member

truck price

You're looking at about $6000 and up. That's what I paid for my Daihatsu and I thought it was a pretty good value for the features/condition.