1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulsating Idle in Hot Weather!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Rickster, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Rickster

Rickster Member

I drive my 02 Zuki as a daily driver about 5 days per week. Last week my yellow Lab went into labor and the pups had to be taken via C-Section. As a result of this I have had to take her to the vet each and every morning for the last 8 days for antibiotic shots. My son usually goes with me and even though it is in the morning it has been very hot. Everytime I stopped at a stop light and sat at idle, you could feel my truck pulsating. It had a rythm of about 2-3 times per second and was continuous. I raced the engine and it stopped. When it went back to idle to started again. My son who is only 14 even noticed it and asked what was wrong with my truck. You could feel the truck shaking. I told him it acts like it is missing, but has plenty of power. Puzzled me, but truck seemed to still run great. It only happened in the mornings and not any other time of day???? Could it be just a certain temperature thing since it doesn't do it at night, afternoon, or evening? This has been going on for 8 days and really has been bugging me that I can't find anything wrong.

This where it gets really wierd.

This morning it pulsated at every idle without fail. However; when I pulled into my drive after going to the vet, I shut the truck off but stayed in the truck to listen to my voice mails. After about 5-10 seconds it started pulsating again at the same rythm. Remember now that the truck is off at this point!

IT WAS MY DOG PANTING IN THE DOG BOX IN THE BACK OF MY TRUCK!

These trucks are so small that you can feel my dog panting if she is laying down in the back of the truck. (she only weighs 75 lbs.)

Anyway, I fixed it and it didn't cost me much, at least until I get the vet's bill! Just thought this tip might save someone else diagnostic fees.

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Just goes to show us that we need to look at the simple things first and what is different than the last time. I dont know where ,when and how we got this way but we tend think the worst , first. I worked on drilling rigs in the GOM for many many yrs, and cant tell you the times that the fix was simple. Clogged filter on a hyd. system, seal leaking, fuel filter stopped up and on and on. Had a mini truck sometime ago over heating. I looked at everything possible, I was kicking my dog(not really). After 4 days I noticed the lower radiator hose collapsing with rpm. Hose was weak. New hose, good to go. Those little simple things can drive us up a wall sometimes.
    Glad you figured it out without pulling motor or trans. LOL

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i'll be the first to wave the "i'm an idiot" flag here... lol

after i lifted my jeep i was fighting with "drive line vibrations".

i had fought this for quite some time in the past with a small lift but the short rear drive shaft, much like the minis, was at just too much of an angle. after eliminating the slip yoke in the rear and installing adjustable upper control arms i was good to go.

after i installed a 4" lift on the heep i had really bad vibes. first i changed the track bars and welded in new mounts got the the axles aligned. still vibrated like crazy. then i spent 3 hours in 110* heat trying to adjust the rear pinion angle to get rid of the vibes. i fought it from 0* to 10* pinion angle but couldn't get it to go away.

then i realized i cut off the tail pipe from just behind the muffler to make room for the track bar and shocks when i lifted it. i went to the muffler shop yesterday to have them make a new tail pipe for it and it took out 75% of the vibes, and a quick adjustment to the controll arms fixed the rest.

i beat my head against the wall for hours on end, sweating like a beer can in summer, only to realize I'M AN IDIOT!!

lol.. sometimes it's the simple things