1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROPANE conversion... LPG carburetor bolt on kit...

Discussion in 'Performance' started by draggbody, Apr 1, 2010.

1. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

excellent job..always loved propane vehicles,but I wasn't aware one could be fabbed up for this application..very nice..A daihatsu version would be great as it seems there are no replacements for certain carb parts on the s83,s80....again good job:)

2. draggbody

draggbody Member

i have one of these trucks at the shop... i could build a kit if there were a demand for it...

3. draggbody

draggbody Member

so i finished my dd51t and couldnt be more pleased w/ the results... perfect acceleration, power and nice low idle... got a couple of kits i need to send out... thanks for the orders guys, you wont be diappointed..

4. draggbody

draggbody Member

so here is what a kit minus brackets looks like... everything assembled, ready to bolt on, everything needed is included... this customer was going to build brackets for his tank to go under the bed so there is no need for the bulkhead to go through the floor, just a solid hose from the tank to the vaporizer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

in Sask the propane system need inspection every 5 years. if you go to fill up and do not have the silver safety sticker visible they will not fill you. Some get around this with the removable tanks.

also i found the most PITA about propane was finding stations. there is only 2 co-ops in my town with propane. both WHINE to come fill me up every time i came there. Also in Regina not every 24hr station with propane can fill you because they need to have certified people on staff to use the propane station.. so one night i had to hot ball her home 200km on 1/4 tank!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  6. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

What's the CFM cap. of that mixer? Would it be able to feed a 1000cc at 7000rpm?

Jon.

7. WELDER

WELDER Member

Little Dumper, if you are serious about getting a good LPG system together, PM me and I can use some of my resources to get you what you need.

Also, my truck is almost done, so we'll have to go for a little two truck parade around town :)

8. draggbody

draggbody Member

wow... i guess impco is junk now days huh??? its the best money can buy... go start your own thread if you want to sell propane kits and GTFO of mine... :rolleyes:

9. draggbody

draggbody Member

looks like it is more than enough flow based on your numbers...

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

impco mixer
    Air Flow Capacity………………...…93 L/s (197 cfm) @ 2.0 in Hg manifold depression
    Horsepower Rating………………. 91.7 kW (123 hp) @ 2.0 in Hg manifold depression

10. WELDER

WELDER Member

Holly hell.

Where in there did I say I want to SELL anything?

I just so happen to know the local shops and local people/co-workers who have a good stock of LP components laying around, which they would gladly sell for cheap if it is for a project.

I figured that helping Little Dumper out, getting him exactly what he wants, quickly and free of shipping hassles would be following the generally positive "Kei-truckin'" mood.

Not everyone is out to make a buck off people who don't know how to build an LP system.

To recap;
    I AM NOT A VENDOR ON THIS SITE AND AM IN NO WAY TRYING TO (UNDER)SELL ANY OF THE VENDORS.

I know that they are few and far between, but everyone needs to remember that there are still decent, helpful people out there. As for Little Dumper, there happens to be one in his town.

11. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

Easy boys, play nice. I'm not too serious yet, have way to many other projects that need to see the light of day. If I ever get the 1000cc bottom end swap done I may go this route.

Jon.

12. o8k

o8k Member

How do you fill the bottles? If they are filled by weight? Would removal would then be required? Under bed tanks may be a problem to remove? I am very interested in this kit. Are there instructions for installation? Are there instructions for tuneing the air fuel mix, idle, fast idle, choke, etc? What impacts does this have on the vacuum system that still needs to remain (for example, the engine thermostat etc)?

Thanks,
    o8k

13. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

I'm on my 3rd propane vehicle since the early 80s and never had a problem refilling here in BC.
    You drive up to a pump and the only difference is the kid needs to take a one day safety course. The worst experiences I had were in the US West Coast where you pretty much had to stick to main truckstops to fill. Seems like it never caught on except in motorhomes.
    Two concerns I'd have: the loss of acceleration with such a tiny engine may be a concern. The other's moot. If it's too cold for propane, it's too cold to drive the damn thing. I already shattered the nylon shifter thing due to cold, and there's no damn way you can get enough heat off that tiny motor to keep the cab warm at -40.

14. confuzed

confuzed Member

Central Alberta have a Sambar used it all last winter.Not the warmest at start up will not get real warm idling but comfortable while it is driven. I got foam pipe insulation and wrapped my heater lines with it great help and no noticable heat up in the hot summers.I do a fair amount of hiway driving to the city with it no problems. (lol wife hates it too rough great way to get a quiet ride into the city)

15. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

i put a battery in the propane van of mine today with the impco system, tried the key to see if it would crank and it started! lol. gotta find out how to set the idle down. its reving like its on high idle.

loggerhead10 likes this.
  16. o8k

o8k Member

loggerhead10 likes this.
  17. prairie mini truck

prairie mini truck New Member

has anyone who has done this convertion had any problems buning out the valves? As I recall they had a lot of problems with burnt valves in the 80 and 90s which is one off the reasons why they dident really catch on. Does anyone have the part # so i can get them at a local sorce?

18. draggbody

draggbody Member

two trucks have been running daily on this conversion for 6 months now... not a SINGLE problem... i am removing the seats out of the bed of my truck and moving the tank because it is a PITA to change tanks underneath, other than that, i wouldnt change a thing!!!

19. smokeydabear

smokeydabear New Member

Is this better than what comes on a factory suzuki carry with propane? I saw a couple factory propane suzuki's the other day and they seemed to perform pretty good.

20. draggbody

draggbody Member

i cant speak on this as i have never seen a factory LP vehicle... i do know that the 2 trucks we have run excellent on propane... i would never go back...