1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power/Acceleration Uphill

Discussion in 'Performance' started by ARB26DETTW, Aug 23, 2022.

1. ARB26DETTW

ARB26DETTW New Member

I recently got a 1994 Subaru Sambar and had some questions about what type of power to reasonably expect from a truck like this. On the flats it seems fine enough, gets me up to 70-80kmh well enough I think, but going up hills I have found that it either can't accelerate or loses speed.

Another thing that I think I am feeling is that it seems like there isn't too much difference between 50-60% throttle and WOT.

Some information: The spark plugs are new, plug wires are new, distributor cap and rotor are new (would have replaced the points but to my surprise the distributor is electronic), new fuel filter, and fresh oil change and oil filter, air filter is pretty new as well.

I know the next thing I probably have to do is tune the carb and advance.

Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. OhDeer

OhDeer Active Member Supporting Member

Mine is happy to run around at 90-95 kmh with little trouble, even feels a little zippy off the line. Not much in the way of hills here but the few I hit aren't a major obstacle. Weight is the enemy though, when I'm loaded she feels it.

3. ARB26DETTW

ARB26DETTW New Member

Ok, I certainly wouldn't say mine is happy to get to 90-95kmh. There is likely some power loss somewhere then.

Outside of it needing a good tuning my thoughts were a plugged/blocked cat or fuel pump issues. Couldn't get any good pre/post cat temp readings with all the heat shielding around it. So that will probably be on the weekend to do list after tuning the carb and ignition timing.

4. Tyler Madia

Tyler Madia Member

I would say my experience is similar to yours. On flats it's no problem but any kind of incline and it will start to slow down. If I have the AC on it's like accelerating a fully loaded semi!

I have thought it may be a carb issue as well. I took mine off and cleaned it and it now idles much better but no extra power. Plugs look great and I replaced the cap and rotor when I changed all of the fluids.

5. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Got to realize that these vehicles were designed as a workhorse and not as a speed demon. The power available and the gear ratios involved are toward this purpose and changes would defeat the original concept as they were designed to be a class of vehicles as defined by Japanese law. The US and Japan are different as to operating environments and the expectations of the operators is also different. Where I am(the Philippines) the vehicles perform satisfactory to the normal traffic flow, pretty much the same in all Asia.

Fred

6. Tyler Madia

Tyler Madia Member

For sure. These trucks are meant to be little farm trucks. I think we just aren't sure if something is wrong as,at least in my case, I don't have anything to compare it to.

My truck is a little slow for normal traffic and kind of a nuisance if I try to drive in traffic with the AC on. Is that normal? Probably but it would be nice to know that I'm not leaving some performance off the table because of a tuning issue.